Why do I need to log in to my account to change room settings?

• 18 December 2018
  • 17 replies

My bass was a bit too deep for how late at night it was and the song I was listening to, and I wanted to just go quick change the volume on my bass in that room. I was told it'd been a while since I'd logged in and that I needed to log in again before I could go into settings.

What user-friendly advantage does requiring me to log in before I can go and change local settings like volume do for me?

I bought Sonos because I was very excited about having wireless sound throughout the house years ago. I've since been told that I not only need an account ( I don't remember when I registered for one, but I did ) and then that I need to log into that account again, randomly, to change some settings like bass volume in a room? Why? This is not user friendly. I didn't want an account in the first place, I don't know what sort of information, telemetry or otherwise, you want from me. I never have any intention of buying any Alexa-integrated products from you; and, I'm really not a fan of being a product by you collecting and using my information for other things; but, all of that aside and all of that I tolerated.

But why do I need to log in to my account to change bass and other room settings? Why? What's the advantage? Come on guys, Sonos before this username stuff really was the best "plug it in and it works" wireless stereo solution 😞

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

YEa, as a dealer/integrator I am in clients house often setting up their stuff, and it's pretty annoying to have to deal with this, especially as my ci]clients usually have long forgotten the email they used and the password. (I try and keep track)...but I can see how it's a good practice, it keeps other devices on your network from changing the system on you. An opt out like "Never ask me again for this to change settings" would be appreciated.
Badge +3
One option would be that Sonos could make it an option to use password "every time" or "not required" this would make it a little more efficient for the tweakers...
It wasn't connected to an account, in the past, so that's one part; but, honestly, the bigger thing is that I don't want the inconvenience of having to sign in, usually at a really bad time, to change room audio settings.

You always needed to enter an email in order to setup Sonos. This has been confirmed numerous times by Sonos reps
If you uninstall the app, you will have to reenter the password. A brutal task to have to undertake, but I'm sure one can power through. :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm pretty sure this is inaccurate. I've entered the password before and then, months later, I had to enter it again. Maaaaybe I uninstalled the app at some point because it was acting up; but, I'm very much not sure there.
Well, I'm certain it's accurate, so far.

The requirement for a password to access certain settings via the controller is a relatively recent change. I've only had to enter a password once per controller, to access these settings. It's quite possible there will be a recurrence, but it's hardly a frequent issue.
I'm pretty sure this is inaccurate. I've entered the password before and then, months later, I had to enter it again. Maaaaybe I uninstalled the app at some point because it was acting up; but, I'm very much not sure there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It wasn't connected to an account, in the past, so that's one part; but, honestly, the bigger thing is that I don't want the inconvenience of having to sign in, usually at a really bad time, to change room audio settings.
I imagine that the data collection has always been connected to an account. Also, as stated above, the requirement for a password to change settings appears to be a one-off request per controller. You won't be prompted next time you change settings using the same controller.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
It would be nice if the equalizer control wasn't so deeply buried in the interface. Personally I'd like to see it accessible from the volume control panel.
The thing is, Sonos was collecting the data in the link above for a long, long time. It's pretty silly to start complaining now just because the volume limiter requires a one-time login on each controller now. If you weren't angry about data collection before, why now?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
What data Sonos collect, and for what purposes, is clearly laid out at [1]. The section headed 'Functional Data' is the most relevant to this thread. Sonos does indeed collect information about how you use your devices and controllers, and you cannot opt out.

Personally, I consider this data collection benign, and that its use is legitimate for product usage insights and product improvement. However, I also think it's legitimate to take an opposing view, in which case Sonos is not the system for you.

[1] https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/legal/privacy#types-information
Sonos have stated that they do not gather information through the account. Your fears, and rant, are not in any way justified.

Yes they do. How else would they be able to state they removed features from the desktop app 'because a majority of users weren't using them'? There is no other way to know that.
Having logged on you will now not need your password to change this like the EQ on a day to day basis. No idea how long it will last until have to type you password again though. You cannot opt out - this is the new world of Sonos.
Reinstalling/Updating of the app will prompt you afterwards to re-enter email address and password again, one time, when you are going to perform an administrative task.
I think Sonos has resisted full password protection every time you go in precisely because it is a hassle. This is a compromise designed to deal with a few specific scenarios.

I have already said there are no data implications. I believe it is correct to say that you could set up a new webmail address and use it only for account purposes (someone please correct me if that is wrong)
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Having logged on you will now not need your password to change this like the EQ on a day to day basis. No idea how long it will last until have to type you password again though. You cannot opt out - this is the new world of Sonos.
How do I opt out?

My rant was two-fold: 1) I don't like my data being taken; but, two, and WAAAY bigger right now, as I said I tolerated the first part was:

Why do I need to log in to change my room settings? I have a different password for every service I use and I have absolutely no idea what the password was for this thing, and so what was supposed to be a couple seconds of work turned into me:
* going into settings
* finding out I had to log in
* not knowing my password
* requesting a password reset
* changing the password
* entering the password on my phone

and then I was in settings.

How do I opt out? That's just a pain.
This is essentially password protection for your settings, requested by many users. It is to stop, for example, kids getting in and removing volume limitation. Sonos have stated that they do not gather information through the account. Your fears, and rant, are not in any way justified.