Question

What will happen 1 year from now, when I buy a new Sonos device for my son who turns 16 next year ?

• 26 January 2020
  • 13 replies

Hi Sonos,

I understand that I will need to put my Sonos system into Legacy mode in May because I currently have a mix of old and new devices.

I also understand that I will be missing out on new updates that you will be releasing in the future.

So far, all is fine with me - I don’t care much, my Sonos is working fine now, I don’t need much more of it.

But I was planning to buy a new Sonos device next year, when my son turns 16 - his own Sonos device in his own room.

What will happen then ? Most probably that new Sonos device of next year will be a couple of versions ahead of the rest of my system - will I be able to add it to my Sonos system ? Will I be able to put it in Legacy mode as well, so it can be put in the same Zone as other players ?

Kind regards,

Bart

13 replies

As long as the Sonos device exists on May 20, you can add it to a legacy system and it will automatically downgrade to the legacy software.  Any devices introduced after May 20 that are not defined in the legacy software will not be able to join a legacy system (the legacy system won’t even know what they are). 

So this effectively means that I cannot buy new Sonos devices until I am willing to trade in all my existing devices, doesn’t it ?

So this effectively means that I cannot buy new Sonos devices until I am willing to trade in all my existing devices, doesn’t it ?

No.  It means you cannot buy devices released after May 20 (unless Sonos has built them into the legacy software).  You can buy any of the devices that exist as of May 20.  

Look at it this way:  Sonos has the One, One SL, Play:5 Gen 2, Beam etc. defined it the software now.  So the legacy software knows what they are, and you can add them to the legacy system.  If Sonos brings out the new Sonos Seven a year from now, it won’t be defined in the legacy software, so there is no way to add the Sonos Seven to a legacy system. 

When I talked about “new” devices, I of course meant devices that do not currently exist.

When I started with Sonos, the Play 3 didn’t exist, yet I was able to add it to my system nonetheless.

So what I am looking forward to now, is an official statement by Sonos that they commit themselves to add “new” devices (that currently do not exist) to the legacy software for some decades to come. (because yes, decades is the time frame that I originally planned to commit myself to Sonos to).

When I talked about “new” devices, I of course meant devices that do not currently exist.

When I started with Sonos, the Play 3 didn’t exist, yet I was able to add it to my system nonetheless.

So what I am looking forward to now, is an official statement by Sonos that they commit themselves to add “new” devices (that currently do not exist) to the legacy software for some decades to come. (because yes, decades is the time frame that I originally planned to commit myself to Sonos to).

Not going to happen.  If you keep your legacy devices, you will be running under legacy software that has no idea the new products exist, therefore there is no way to add them.  The only way to add them would be to remove the legacy devices and upgrade to software that does know they exist.  

As for an official statement, @Ryan S said here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/the-sonos-brexit-and-a-pragmatic-way-past-it-6836056/index8.html#post16399787

@Ralpfocus once devices switch over to legacy software, you’ll still be able to add new devices that currently exist. In the future, when new Sonos products start coming out, their software will not likely be compatible with legacy builds, and also, legacy software won’t know what they are to be able to add them. That said, if you want to add a new Play:5 gen1 or gen2 to your legacy system a few months later, that should be doable. When they go to update, they’ll get the right software version for the legacy system. But again, more on this will come in May.

I guess Sonos will give an option to add...

So this effectively means that I will not be able to buy “new” Sonos devices (that currently do not exist) until I am willing to trade in all my existing devices, doesn’t it ?

I’ll have to wait for Sonos to build up new functionality that is good enough to make me want to get rid of my old stuff and find the finances to replace what I currently have with new-enough devices to be able to start using the really-new devices.

Sounds like a tough job to me, because my current system is basically all I need functionality-wise. I’ll probably have to get used to buying second hand stuff because the new stuff will be incompatible ;-)

So this effectively means that I will not be able to buy “new” Sonos devices (that currently do not exist) until I am willing to trade in all my existing devices, doesn’t it ?

Effectively, yes.  That is if you wish to replace them.  You could also just remove them from the system, or split your system in two, legacy and modern. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Thanks jgatie,

You and RyanS have helped clear things up.

As you eluded to elsewhere. Come May there will be another Fork of the Software. 

1. Production Version (for modern and new devices to come, exciting new features)
  2. Legacy Version (for current modern and Legacy devices, basic patches, minimal upkeep)
  3. Beta Version (for those participating in Beta Program, testing exciting new features)

We will be able to move between these versions on compatible systems, as permitted by SONOS.

Am I understanding this correct.

Badge

Straight from SONOS, they tell us,

"Build out your system

Easily connect speakers over WiFi to create the sound system you want, and expand it any time." 

At any time.  Well, that's what I relied on and it is partially true, but nope, I should have known that legacy issues would stop updates after several years on thousands of dollars of SONOS products. 

I certainly did not see this coming based on SONOS sales literature. 

Thanks jgatie,

You and RyanS have helped clear things up.

As you eluded to elsewhere. Come May there will be another Fork of the Software. 

1. Production Version (for modern and new devices to come, exciting new features)
  2. Legacy Version (for current modern and Legacy devices, basic patches, minimal upkeep)
  3. Beta Version (for those participating in Beta Program, testing exciting new features)

We will be able to move between these versions on compatible systems, as permitted by SONOS.

Am I understanding this correct.

That is what was stated (except for Beta. Nothing was (or should be) said about Beta).

To me it seems not that much of an effort to keep new devices ‘compatible’ with the legacy version for as long as possible so that customers still have the choice for some years to come to keep their Sonos system as a whole, undivided entity.

Yes, who does so will be missing out on new features, but let _them_ make that choice - Sonos should not be making that choice for them.