Use by date

• 23 January 2020
  • 4 replies

Folks -

Query should these products fairly be coming with a USE BY date if Sonos can just switch off and make them redundant.

It doesn’t seem fair and reasonable that they don’t.

Agree with the 30% off being a bad marketing solution it should be we here at Sonos categorically see this is not your fault that the products are turning obsolete so should offer an exchange at cost price not an exchange that has profits to Sonos after all no sell by date. Seems to have been a missed opportunity - time for a rethink possibly?

Further like others have stated the new products also have no Use by date - clearly the fact that we don’t know is a massive hurdle to overcome and Sonos need to sort this out.

Surely also the old items could simply be refitted with more modern chipboards to curb a huge waste that is inevitably going to be harmful to the environment

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I agree and propose an alternative. 

The company mantra is to support legacy products “for at least 5 years” so how about having some date of birth printed on each product (hey Bud do it)

At least you will know where you are it with the “at least 5 years” shelf life.

However product depreciation would hit the moment the device hit the shelves. So probably a non-starter for SONOS.

The company mantra is to support legacy products “for at least 5 years” so how about having some date of birth printed on each product (hey Bud do it)

However product depreciation would hit the moment the device hit the shelves. So probably a non-starter for SONOS.

The date of birth is already there.  On the device’s label, the four digits before the serial number (ex 1608C) are the year and month of manufacture. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

The date of birth is already there.  On the device’s label, the four digits before the serial number (ex 1608C) are the year and month of manufacture. 

@jgatie thanks I didn’t know this.

Do you know if the details are on the retail box? I mean, if someone was buying a new product that should be the first thing they check before handing over their money

@jgatie thanks I didn’t know this.

Do you know if the details are on the retail box? I mean, if someone was buying a new product that should be the first thing they check before handing over their money

No I don’t know. But I would assume any currently being manufactured products are modern, it’s the discontinued Connects and Connect:Amps that are suspect.  But lying on a shelf for 5 years is pretty rare.  If you were to buy a used/discontinued model, I would make sure the seller lets you see the label.