Too Late - Customers Deserve Better

• 2 March 2022
  • 9 replies

Your move, Sonos. The 2/25 backorder date has come and gone to ship the Immersive Set with Arc, without any update on when customers can expect the items to ship. How many customers now have Sonos wall mounts installed in their houses without the Sonos products?

I haven't heard about shipping issues in over a month. There aren't ships sitting in an LA harbor. The pandemic is over. 

What's the deal? Please provide an update on when customers can expect to receive their shipments. We've been patient, but this is approaching disrespectful.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Interesting. The pandemic is over? Certainly, mask mandates are reducing, but I don’t think that the pandemic could be called ‘over’, by any stretch. Nor are the issues with shipping resolved, much less the international chip shortage. In fact, many vehicle manufacturers are unable to finish production of their vehicles, just one example. 

I’m not intimately familiar with Sonos production line, so it is entirely possible that there are no ships waiting to be unloaded, because the manufacturing plant is unable to build devices at a speed necessary to fill one or more of these ‘ships’.

My guess would be that Sonos wants your money as much as you want their speaker. I would expect that as soon as they have concrete information to share with you regarding a true ship date, they will, but if they’ve missed one date, and they’re currently unsure about the next, they’re unwilling to string you along with a further date that may or may not be ‘real’.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I ordered the black ARC on 1/07 with expected ship date of 1/21.  Today the status has changed to preparing to ship.  Maybe the logjam is beginning to move.  :-)

Jim

I ordered an Amp and it has been stuck on “preparing to ship” for quite a long time. It’s a different world. It will arrive eventually and that’s cool. 

(See above.)

Sigh. It's not a case of waiting patiently or simply purchasing elsewhere when they have partially shipped the order and people already have wall mounts drilled into their walls.

Did you really put up the wall mount before you had your Arc or even a notice that it was shipped?

How long would you have waited patiently if your delivery didn't arrive on time and Sonos didn't communicate any update? Weeks? Months? Years?

Weeks for sure, given the current climate.  Perhaps a month or a few.  Not years, obviously.

At some point everyone's patience runs out, and it's easy to tell others to wait after you've received your product. For the most part the issue isn't whether they have control over the delays - it's that they need to communicate where things stand (particularly to those of us who have received partial shipment). 

Being that I’m currently waiting on a couple products (not Sonos) to be shipped, since December, with no notice whatsoever, I feel like I can be patient. 

I was getting my basement redone and had the contractors install the mounts as they were working. So, yes, the wall mounts are up in all their glory, gaining dust. In hindsight, the timing was really bad and I don't know that I would do the same again, but in my personal experience backordered items purchased from respectable companies have always come through when promised.

That’s a reasonable assumption before the world went crazy and companies could no longer have reasonable control over the typical supply chain process.   

And your reasoning makes sense.  Mounts aren’t hard to install, but if the contractor is right there and willing, I’d do that too.

I do applaud you for your patience. I'm actually pretty patient myself when I know what's going on and what to expect. In my opinion, if Sonos doesn't know when they will be able to ship, they need to give customers the worst case scenario and tell us how hard they're working to complete the order before that far out date. If they don't, more and more people will run out of patience and the complaints will begin to pile up. People are understanding (and patient) when they're treated with respect.

I don’t know that there is a worst case scenario date they can provide.  I mean, if the boat is scheduled to come in on day X, how are they to know how delayed the boat could be?  If it makes you feel better, the CEO did say at the last investor meeting that they were doing some air freight to get products in faster.  It’s not like they aren’t doing something about it.  Not sure there’s a good way to tell customers that, and many wouldn’t care.

(See above.)

Cool story, bro. How long did you say you've been waiting for your order again? How do you explain the empty wall mounts gathering dust? Do you have any skin in the game or are you just monitoring posts to defend Sonos for fun?

For all practical purposes, the pandemic IS done - that's why just last night a maskless Biden said we're moving back to a normal routine. I don't know where you're at, but where I am the pandemic is most certainly "over." There's no need to stretch anything.

As for shipping issues and chip shortages, I'm no expert; however, I would be interested to know if those vehicle manufacturers who can't finish production have already sold the unfinished vehicle and promised it to a customer, like Sonos has done with its products. Sonos is a publicly traded company, and if it can't produce or deliver its products as promised - for whatever reason - soon enough investors will take note.

MY guess is that Sonos is paying you to post and you're not waiting for any delivery, so you aren't impacted by how long it takes them to ship any products. If you are in fact waiting for delivery, how long will it take for you to get irritated at the delays? They've already partially filled many orders, so it's more than just stringing us along. We who have already purchased need to generally understand timing - we need a realistic update - even if that means worst case scenario like August or later like some here have suggested. People who are considering purchasing need to know timing to understand whether to wait for months or to go elsewhere, like I would have had I known the promised delivery date would not be met.

I thought that all backorder dates shown on the Sonos shop site were estimated🤔? … and Sonos do not take any payment until their devices are shipped. So it’s just a case of waiting patiently. If you do find the product to purchase elsewhere, there’s nothing preventing anyone from taking that option, if they prefer.

As mentioned, Sonos will clearly want payment due on a sale, so any delay is obviously not their doing and completely outside of their control and they’re likely doing everything they can to get their popular products to the customer at the earliest possible opportunity.

I don’t currently have a Sonos product on backorder, as my latest delivery came, on time, last week, but had it have been delayed, I would have been happy to sit on my money and would have just waited patiently.

(See above.)

Sigh. It's not a case of waiting patiently or simply purchasing elsewhere when they have partially shipped the order and people already have wall mounts drilled into their walls.

How long would you have waited patiently if your delivery didn't arrive on time and Sonos didn't communicate any update? Weeks? Months? Years? At some point everyone's patience runs out, and it's easy to tell others to wait after you've received your product. For the most part the issue isn't whether they have control over the delays - it's that they need to communicate where things stand (particularly to those of us who have received partial shipment). 

I was getting my basement redone and had the contractors install the mounts as they were working. So, yes, the wall mounts are up in all their glory, gaining dust. In hindsight, the timing was really bad and I don't know that I would do the same again, but in my personal experience backordered items purchased from respectable companies have always come through when promised.

I do applaud you for your patience. I'm actually pretty patient myself when I know what's going on and what to expect. In my opinion, if Sonos doesn't know when they will be able to ship, they need to give customers the worst case scenario and tell us how hard they're working to complete the order before that far out date. If they don't, more and more people will run out of patience and the complaints will begin to pile up. People are understanding (and patient) when they're treated with respect.