Tech Products Obsoleting Conventional Audio

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Since getting my 2 Sonos Play 5’s,Sub and Roam(which I use for a rear ambience speaker...to great effect…. I’m thinking my old conventional audio equip,though rather high end,has been totally obsoleted.

I sold my stuff a while back to fund my daughter’s weddding and admit to having missed it dearly,but not since I’ve gotten this amazing Sonos set up!

I mean,even the newest high quality earbuds,coupled with a great music server,sounds so good,who is going to put up with all the space needed,tweaking hassles and heat generation of conventional stuff?….Don’t even go there regarding cost!

Not to mention dealing with multiple manufacturers,of which some offer poor support.

As I become more and more aware of what the better Tech companies offer and at so much lower prices than the conventional mfgrs. it just seems obvious that those guys are not overly happy these days…..Yes,they have their market,but it’s shrinking at an alarming rate me’thinks.

I can only imagine how superb the Tech/Music products will be over the next few years.

Just thinking out loud.-:)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You're right. Only disadvantage I can think of is possible lifespan of connected products vs. “old fashioned” hifi. Computer related devices seem to have a shorter lifespan, because you need updates. Despite all discussionj of late, Sonos has a good track record on this though!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Agreed,but compared to what i paid for the vast majority of my conventional audio stuff,even if I had to buy newer tech products down the road,the savings is huge…..and….as these new tech products evolve the performance to cost ratio is fantastic…….Wives love that stuff…..

A win/win situation,imo. -:)

Not exactly sure what you are labeling as conventional vs tech, but I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that conventional audio companies are actually doing better overall then they used to.  Yes, new tech companies are honing in on their market, but I think they’ve ultimately made the market a lot bigger with plenty of room for everyone.

First, new tech has brought in new audio standards.   From stereo, surround sound, atmos, to different audio formats, these new standards have given reason for customers to purchase new gear before their old gear stopped working.  And of course, it’s not like the new tech isn’t something older audio companies are forbidden from selling so they can take advantage of it.

Second, many of these companies have good reputations, so a customer may opt to pay a premium from a brand they trust, even if they aren’t the pioneer or best rated for a particular new feature.

Third, and maybe most important, it’s much easier for companies to reach customers, particularly for products that don’t have a mass market appeal,  via the internet and modern shipping.  You can sell high end products to anyone who might want it without having to go through high end stores, or pro installers, etc.  

Related to the above, the new tech provides a good gateway for new customers.  I think customers like getting puck speakers and cheap bluetooth speakers because it’s not a huge commitment.  If you don’t like it, throw it out (or recycle).  But it won’t take long before you decide to upgrade, and work your way up to higher standards. I bet there are tons of people out there with relatively high end systems that never would have done that if they couldn’t work their way up to it with more beginner and intermediate products available for those not ready to make a big investment.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I get what you’re saying Danny,but having owned very high end stuff for decades and putting up with the space,costs,heat generation,hassles,tweaking and playing LP’s and Cd’s so many listening sessions with friends turned out to be “can you hear the separation of those strings,or sound effects”,that it’s a pleasure to simply push a button on a phone to access almost everything that has been recorded for the simple sake of music.

I LOVED my 3000 LP collection and over 600 CD’s,but this tech has it beat and a really well set up Play 5 and Sub system is sooo close to high end-ish standards that it relegates that stuff to moot!

Of course,if one has a large collection of LP’s and CD’s I understand the appeal…...It was huge fun to plunk down a record,but as a senior it’s more fun to sit in my easy chair and just push a button to access new material.

No disrespect meat towards those folks liking the older formats. -:)

I get what you’re saying Danny,but having owned very high end stuff for decades and putting up with the space,costs,heat generation,hassles,tweaking and playing LP’s and Cd’s so many listening sessions with friends turned out to be “can you hear the separation of those strings,or sound effects”,that it’s a pleasure to simply push a button on a phone to access almost everything that has been recorded for the simple sake of music.

I LOVED my 3000 LP collection and over 600 CD’s,but this tech has it beat and a really well set up Play 5 and Sub system is sooo close to high end-ish standards that it relegates that stuff to moot!

Of course,if one has a large collection of LP’s and CD’s I understand the appeal…...It was huge fun to plunk down a record,but as a senior it’s more fun to sit in my easy chair and just push a button to access new material.

No disrespect meat towards those folks liking the older formats. -:)

I would definitely agree that investing in physical media isn’t all that great anymore.  The only area I think physical really has an advantage right now if for Dolby TrueHD (Atmos)  audio on blu ray disks, which you can’t really get through streaming.  Everything else can be had digitally.

There are still a lot of people who want vinyl though, or claim that the little extra bit of perceived sound quality is worth the effort.  And I think there are a fair amount of people who would of never invested much beyond one room for good audio quality, as it was just too expense otherwise.  Perhaps not the high-fidelity/audiophile equipment your thinking of, but I’ve probably bought more in  ceiling and outdoor speakers, wiring and even a 3rd party amp or two for a whole audio system along with Sonos than I would have bought altogether if Sonos never came along.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

You’re right on point Danny…..I had friends who were so vinyl-centric( a music reviewer for The Absolute Sound) that they’d not want to hear anything new,if it was  digitally recorded...No matter how great the music was!

I have a pal,who has the exact system of Sonos stuff as I and also owns a good traditional set up….He told me he never listens to the traditional system!

Of course,we’re both seniors…..so maybe we’re getting lazy.-:)

To digress a bit, I do think that the medium (vinyl) does color the recording in some ways, where digital much less so. And because we as a society has grown up using vinyl, it’s perceived as being “better”, and the coloration of such is preferred. I suspect it boils down to personal preference, more than objective science.