Suggestion: Lock "Announcements" to Sonos staff posts only

• 25 January 2017
  • 6 replies

One of the things I find hard to deal with is the inordinate amount of questions posted in the "announcements" section. In my mind, that area should be reserved for posts by staff that are actual announcements. And then a link to a separate discussion thread, perhaps in "ask a question" or another more appropriate board. That way, I know that when there's a new post in the Announcements section, I can see something important, and not be bombarded by "me too's, it doesn't work for me, why aren't you fixing the X problem first, etc"

My 2 cents. Given free of charge. Split those 2 cents up amongst yourselves.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Is my OCD showing? 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I must admit that whenever there is an announcement of new software there is always a flurry of people posting issues which I do find annoying and then I have a word with myself and don't worry about.
I agree that one could look at announcements as single post threads. Then again, leaving them open at least gives the following a place to post instead of starting numerous other threads about a release:

"What. no XYZ functionality!!!??? The thread for that is 7 years old and has 12 posts!"
"Update is crap! It caused my wholes system to disappear!"
"I don't see anything of value in this update!"
"Still no Windows Mobile controller?"
"I'm buying Bluesound, all my Sonos is going on e-Bay!" (by the same poster, every time)
"Thanks! I've been waiting for XYZ for a while!" (very rare)
"I just hit Update and I didn't want to. Why am I forced to update? Why can't I go back to version x.y??"

😉
Stuart_W, would you be so kind as to have a word with me at the same time? :)

jgatie, true enough. But I would think the announcement would have a link that says "Discussion in this thread" and have a link to a place for those who want to have that discussion.

Yea, I know. Sorry 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
That's a good idea Bruce, we'll look into it for the future. We do like having the announcement posts open for feedback, but maybe some dedicated ones would make things easier to read.

jgatie, true enough. But I would think the announcement would have a link that says "Discussion in this thread" and have a link to a place for those who want to have that discussion.

What jgatie commented is exactly what occurred to me some time after my first reaction - to agree with you. If Sonos can do the admin chore of linking as you suggest, that might work, though it will still add to the number of threads with noise in them.