Stop upgrading my product before it becomes junk.

• 24 February 2019
  • 4 replies

I've had a Sonos for about five years. It worked great for the first two, before the upgrades really started, before the "create an account to use a system you've already paid a lot of money for" BS.
Now I'm having to uninstall Sonos and reinstall it after every useless "upgrade". And every time it becomes more unstable. Just stop already.

4 replies

I've had a Sonos for about five years. It worked great for the first two, before the upgrades really started, before the "create an account to use a system you've already paid a lot of money for" BS.
Now I'm having to uninstall Sonos and reinstall it after every useless "upgrade". And every time it becomes more unstable. Just stop already.

So why not turn off the upgrade/update option on all of your controllers? They don't make it easy, but it's perfectly possible...
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Send in a diagnostic now and contact Sonos support, their twitter option is open 24x7 and have them take a look at your system. Next time it messes up do the same again and they hopefully will be able to tell you what is going wrong.

In my case I set static/reserved IP addresses for my Sonos gear in my router's DHCP page and ended my issues.
If you are really sick and tired of this (as I was), drop Sonos software altogether and switch to something that recognises your Sonos hardware. I switched to Roon almost two years ago and have never looked back (nor have I touched Sonos software since).
I want to listen to music, not do a post grad curse in obtuse IT systems. My SONOS was working just fine and now it doesn't. Have a look at the traffic on various chat rooms. It's reputation is heading to the toilet. Apparently the software in my Iphone is 'not architected' - what kind of word is that FFS? - to interface with the latest version of SONOS software. It wasn't broken so why 'fix' it? I listen to music now on my old wires and cables system - at least it works, and I don't have to sign up to accounts and pay more etc to keep playing music. Which it doesn't because I can't find anything with my existing controller. I am NOT getting a new phone to use this thing. I would sooner flog it on eBay to some poor unsuspecting schmuck, or use it to anchor my boat which I don't have. ROON sounds like a better option than what is currently happening - but why am I paying to get something I already shelled out good money for to actually work.