Question

Spam, still? Wake up in the Boston Sonos office

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
It is 6am PST which means it is 9am Monday on the East Coast. Are there no forum Admins awake over in the Boston Sonos office yet? The spam content this weekend is continuing this morning, with apparently zero effort from the admins to delete it, and block it in the future.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Every time this recurs, it reflects very poorly on the quality of Sonos management. Either shut down this interface or maintain it to match product quality standards.
I don't know if Monday is typically a holiday in certain countries, but we usually some of the European offices 'patrolling' the boards before the sun rises here in the states.
Why are weekends a holiday for everyone in Sonos? So quaint, for a billion dollar company.
In the years since 2011 that I was a forum member till the time Sonos shut it down in favour of this creation, I don't recall seeing such spam, regardless of what day of the week it was. Perhaps it was because administration was in the care of unpaid moderators, not paid employees/subcontractors. That says something about the motivation of different kinds of people.
Userlevel 5
Hi all, thank you for the candid feedback. It's correct that we currently do not have weekend coverage of the community. We're looking into how we can potentially rectify that.
I'm not entirely sure that there's a reason to question the motivation of the team, because we enjoy our time off. 🙂 If you believe we enjoy disrupting your time on the community by allowing spam to sit for longer than strictly necessary, you're wrong. We do not like it one bit ourselves. For what it's worth we have removed spam over the easter weekend, and will continue to do so when we have the opportunity.
Thank you for your understanding, we appreciate it. :)
All the best,
Ditte

I'm not entirely sure that there's a reason to question the motivation of the team, because we enjoy our time off. :)

I disagree; the moderators of the earlier forum were unpaid and yet did a better job, 24/7. What is the reason for that, other than higher levels of motivation and ownership?
I am not saying that individuals should not have time off, but a billion dollar corporation manages around the needs of individual employees to deliver seamless 24/7 service; this seamless delivery standard is not in question in today's world, or even of the last few decades. In a place where there are still many unpaid users that answer questions from other users over the weekend, it is even more important to keep clean the place where they do this for you.
Userlevel 5
Thank you Kumar, I understand where you're coming from, and I think you missed a part of my post:
It's correct that we currently do not have weekend coverage of the community. We're looking into how we can potentially rectify that.
Is this going to be in place soon? No. It will unfortunately take time. Meanwhile we'll do what we can to keep the community clean of spam. :)
Best,
Ditte
I ignored that part of the post for the simple reason that weekend coverage was promised more than a year ago, but now that you have highlighted it in the manner you have, I will remind Sonos of that instead of letting another promise pass without comment.
The problem here is really with Sonos Management that is sleeping on the job where this aspect of quality is concerned. And has done so for years now, from the early days of this community/Insided.
Why won't a 24 hour quarantine for all new members, with compulsory moderation, work for this issue? It will mean that moderators will have to act within the period so genuine new members don't suffer more than 24 hours, but presumably that alertness is part of the moderator job description that gets them their salaries.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
More just appeared :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What I have seen work on other forums is an e-mail notification of any spam reports sent to a small group of folks that have the single task of deleting the spam. They don't need any real skills aside from recognizing spam and hitting the delete button. Good job for interns or other staff that could use a few more bucks on payday. Put $175 in the kitty, 100 to the most spam deleted, 50 and 25 for second and third place and you should have enough motivation at minor expense.
There are and have been many suggestions made in the past. And where there is a will, there is always a way. Here, the converse applies - that is the root cause of spam persisting the way it does here.
I don't know if Monday is typically a holiday in certain countries, but we usually some of the European offices 'patrolling' the boards before the sun rises here in the states.

This last Monday was indeed a very 'typical' bank holiday for the most of Europe. This annual event is called Easter. :8

You wouldn't find too many people booting up their pc's for work reasons on that day in general.
Why are weekends a holiday for everyone in Sonos? So quaint, for a billion dollar company.

They used to maintain the support lines during Saturdays but that got binned a couple of years ago.
And now its back again. What's after Easter?!
And now its back again. What's after Easter?!
It's gone again. When you see spam hit 'Flag' and that's it.
What's after Easter?!

That would be King's Day on 27th and Liberation Day on May 5th, followed by Ascension Day on May 30th. Don't expect people working there either. 😉