Sonos. Years of ownership.

As I lay here tonight hoping for some sleep time tunes, my wife asks as always ‘is sonos working?’. I check and as usual the answer is No. many years of ownership. Multiple speakers. Thousands invested. Dozens of hours troubleshooting. And sonos rarely works and never when i really want it to. Final judgement - nice concept. Maddeningly unstable. for a million reasons. especially for the price. not worth it. junk pile.

15 replies

I have two sets, one of them mobile, and never an issue. Your networking setup/router is the problem. Set that up right and Sonos will function perfectly for you.
Yep. Fix your network, stop blaming Sonos for your network issues.
Badge
gotalbots wrote:

As I lay here tonight hoping for some sleep time tunes, my wife asks as always ‘is sonos working?’. I check and as usual the answer is No. many years of ownership. Multiple speakers. Thousands invested. Dozens of hours troubleshooting. And sonos rarely works and never when i really want it to. Final judgement - nice concept. Maddeningly unstable. for a million reasons. especially for the price. not worth it. junk pile.

That's odd I've never had issues with anything you've described? My wife uses my paired play 1s all the time when she's cleaning and such it couldn't be easier, I can't help but think the others who mentioned network issues is probably the culprit. Have you tried trouble shooting with Sonos customer support?
What did Sonos Support say when you sought their help to resolve your problems? And why, after years of problems, have you only just registered for the forum, and come on here to complain rather than seek help?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm pretty sure that if you've had Sonos for years and invested thousands of [insert currency here, since not specified], you would have taken some time to actually contact Sonos for support, or come here to ask questions about the problems you're experiencing, rather than just complain. It's not likely that you'd let issues with something you've invested so much into run for years without making some attempt at fixing them. I wouldn't even go weeks with issues preventing me from properly using something I'd invested thousands in.

Some people do experience problems with Sonos. Networking is not something that is always easy, no matter how much time device manufacturers spend to try and make it easy. Sometimes it really takes someone with years of experience in IT to make a network, and the devices connected to it, work seamlessly. But if you ask questions, not only can you get assistance to resolve your issues, you might also learn a bit to help you in the future.

So maybe try again... explain the problems you're having, how your system is set up (do you have one or more devices wired, or is everything on WiFi)... submit a diagnostic and post the confirmation number so a Sonos employee can review it to see what's going on. Or if support through a community forum isn't your cup of tea, give Sonos a call instead (make sure the country is correct). You may be on hold for a bit if you call... good support isn't always fast... but they'll help to get things working for you.
Seeing your replies and others like it on this site, it is no wonder that Sonos is junk – because it’s obviously accepted. From disparaging the customer “I call BS. Fake account. No-one is this stupid.” to suggesting that customers should be expected to spend hours of their time online with support in order to get a product that they have spent a lot of money on working.
For the record, this is not a fake account. The bizarre replies have inspired me to look back - I have 7 players dating back to 2013. I don’t recall the exact prices but at an avg $300 per player that’s ~$2000. Whatever, it’s a significant amount of money for a sound system.
In terms of me being “stupid”, I’m not going to get into a senseless debate around my intelligence with some unknown person hiding behind their computer, bantering back and forth to try to prove my intelligence. I have a college degree. I’ve been working in IT for 30 years. Not a network technophobe but working with systems and software most every day for 30 years.
That said, let’s set the stage. Sonos is a readily available product offered to the general public having all levels of technical ability; college students, soccer moms, grandmothers, truck drivers. Anybody and everybody around the globe. It should serve every customer. Customers should not have to be technical to use it. They should not be expected to join an online forum and or interact with support staff. For this price. For how it is marketed. It should just work. That’s my point. It should work.
I have spent many hours on the line with Sonos support. I have many emails, I have sent many diagnostics. I have had my internet provider to my home conversing directly with Sonos. I have rebooted, upgraded, moved equipment, hard wired, etc, etc, etc. I been down all the normal paths and many advanced paths. Again, I’m not here to prove all of this to a group of anonymous people sitting behind their computers. Believe it or don’t believe it, not much I can do about that. Btw the Sonos support team has been great. No complaints other than the fact that I’ve had to interact with them so much. So the complaint is not around Sonos support. It’s around the stability of the Sonos product itself. This is not an experimental beta product. This is a readily available prime time high cost product. It should work.
So you say – why would I put up with it, why don’t I just sell it. Good question. I’d have to say – tenacity and the belief in the concept thus the desire to get it working, normally, smoothly, consistently in my average domestic environment. It’s been a long time, years, and it is still unstable, I have spent way too much time on it, and I am now looking into selling it.
Personally, I would sell it. It would ease your obviously high level of aggravation. It appears the product is just not for you.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi everyone,

I wanted to make a post here to remind you all to be friendly. I've deleted some posts that were not helpful and did not comply with our guidelines. For the majority of people, myself included, the Sonos system does just work. Like any network connected device though, it can have issues. Some of these are due to Sonos software or hardware, in which case we may put out patches or hardware replacements, many more are due to other devices in the home, including third party wireless devices and a myriad of different network hardware.

We offer a few different methods of free support and our technicians do not give up on an issue. If we can not solve an issue, we escalate the case to our higher tiers of support until a resolution is found.

@gotalbots I would like to take a look at your support cases to see why this hasn't been resolved. Please reply with your case numbers or send me a direct message with your email and I will look into this for you. In general, it is better to describe the issue you're having, and ask for help, than to come to a community and post derogatory statements about the product.
To all here: I agree with Jeff S that we should try to stay friendly. Me too I have an expensive high end audio system hooked up to a sonos connect, and I agree it is frustrating when this nice piece of equipment doesn't function. It has costed me as much as a car and I only have this equipment to enjoy music as an end user. I'm not too busy with software updates, iPhones and wifi networks ad I consider it all waste of time. However, these are modern times so we should try to cope with it. Me too I've been wondering if I should stop listening to music and sell the whole lot in order to avoid the frustration. Having said that, the support helpdesk has Always been an anchor for me if I get upset/fed up/disappointed and they Always try to help I have to say. (I am from Belgium).
So, to all: keep enjoing music which is one of the best things in life! Jan.
I feel your pain. I have grown increasingly frustrated with Sonos. Why do I have to create an account and sign in to do anything with my app? Why do I have to update ALL THE TIME? Why? Why? Why? I have two Play 3, two Play 1, Two Sonos 1, Playbar, Sub, and connect. I am tired of having to update all the time. More often than not, I just play music on my iPad. I don’t have time to figure out why the music I want to play wont play. Get in bed with Apple. Get in bed with Android. Please make the streaming services more user friendly with your required application.

I personally feel like Sonos has lost their way. Sonos was about great sound that was easy to use. No accounts. No password resets when I can’t remember the 1,000,000 passwords and user names I have. GO BACK. Go back to that model where I pressed play while drinking the brown water after work. PLEASE.
to bcp819: very true; continuous software updates, frustration, disappointment, anger, feeling helpless and hopeless,.... My first tablet now is useless because Sonos no longer supports old Android software and I can not update. Can you believe that? Indeed they should go back to basics and ease things rather than complicating it more day after day....
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
bcp819 wrote:

I feel your pain. I have grown increasingly frustrated with Sonos. Why do I have to create an account and sign in to do anything with my app? Why do I have to update ALL THE TIME? Why? Why? Why? I have two Play 3, two Play 1, Two Sonos 1, Playbar, Sub, and connect.

New features and bug fixes. It's the same reason any system gets updated. There have been more of them lately for sure, because Sonos is in a more competitive market than in past days.

bcp819 wrote:

I am tired of having to update all the time. More often than not, I just play music on my iPad. I don’t have time to figure out why the music I want to play wont play.

Without knowing the specific issue, hard to tell what the reason is. It's unlikely to be because of updates directly. Common problems are IP address conflicts and wireless interference. The majority of customers don't have these issues, but some due, depending on the router and environment.

bcp819 wrote:

Get in bed with Apple. Get in bed with Android. Please make the streaming services more user friendly with your required application.

Cutting out half the market is not a good business decision. Again, whatever issue you're having that makes the system not user friendly is probably related to your local network.

bcp819 wrote:

I personally feel like Sonos has lost their way. Sonos was about great sound that was easy to use. No accounts. No password resets when I can’t remember the 1,000,000 passwords and user names I have. GO BACK. Go back to that model where I pressed play while drinking the brown water after work. PLEASE.

If Sonos stopped growing, I have no doubt that they'd be out of business in a few years. I get that you and a lot of customers are not interested in new features and improvements, you just want it to stay the same and be done with it. However, Sonos can't continue to sell old tech like that. Besides, it's unlikely to resolve your particular problems anyway.
It doesn't make me feel better really that others are having the problems I'm having that is rendering my 10 years + investment in Sonos nearly 100% useless but I'm glad it's not just me. My story is near identical to the original post. I have been a longtime avid Sonos promoter as a near flawless technology. I only owned the receivers until this summer when I bought a pair of the Ones with Alexa. Originally the Ones worked as expected with the rest of the system.

Specifically, over the last few months the following problems plague me randomly: being told there were updates only to get to update site and be dropped off where no update was available, missing zones (some controllers show different all both others only some), inability to group zones, drop out of zones once playing, grouped zones playing the same music but not being in the same group box thus rendering that roque zone uncontrollable, unpairing of Ones randomly and then repairing, inability to control music selections ("selected item can't be play"), complete loss of use of controls to the point where I have to unplug the devices to get them to stop playing, when things do play there is often slow response with that spinning wheel that never existed over the decade, at this very moment my Android app is completely unresponsive even after uninstalling and reinstalling, etc. In short, more functions are problematic than not.

I have Netgear Orbi and I've spent hours on the phone with tech support who are great and committed to helping to resolve the issues but to no avail. They took control of my pc and we looked at every configurable setting they could think and no difference. The feedback from diagnostic is that there is a lot of interference on my network but there is virtually nothing else running on the network at times when I have issues. We've tried Sonosnet and wireless and the performance doesn't change much. I now have a Boost connected to the router and 6 other Sonos and that has not helped much.

I have invested thousands in this brand and have anchored my home music system to it for a long while. I write all this with the hope that folks at Sonos take this seriously. MANY of your customers are having these real issues vs replying with defensiveness. Take a look at the most recent comments on the Android app store downloads and it tells a consistent story. Over the years I've come to expect Sonos to work; I just want to have that experience again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Those here, that are still having problems with their Sonos System, in almost all cases, in my experience, you just need to take a few steps to get your system stable. But there is a small proviso and that is you may need to know a tiny bit about wireless networking and if you don’t, then find a mate, or relative, who does, otherwise you might end up making things worse, rather than better. Or, of course, you could call Sonos Support and maybe seek their professional advice.

Here are the steps that I think will help ...

1. Download free WiFi scanner software (like InSSIDer, for example) to your PC or mobile device and scan to see what wireless channels are 'least-used' around your home... in my case, my wife did this on her laptop for me and found that most of our neighbours use WiFi channel 6.

2. Next set your own routers 2.4ghz WiFi channel well away from your neighbours channel. I set mine to channel 11. I had to read how to do this in my router manual, but it was a simple change done via a web browser page on my router. In fact my routers WiFi channel could be set to auto-find the best WiFi channel for me, but I read somewhere it’s best to turn that feature off and fix a a static channel myself...that stops it auto-changing channel by itself, when the router is rebooted.

3. This next step is simple .. set the SonosNet channel to a completely different channel. This is in advanced settings in the Sonos App. In my case, I set it well apart from the others, at channel 1

Even with just the 3 simple steps above, I found that my Sonos system was already very stable, but there are some other things to do, if you really want it 'top notch' with real robust connectivity and stability. I have given these three additional steps the letters A, B, C below:

A. The first is to switch the Sonos system over to SonosNet... to do that you just need to use an Ethernet cable and connect one Sonos device to your local network. I personally chose to plug a Play 1 into my router.

I strongly recommend this step too, particularly if you are using a mesh WiFi system at home, such as Orbi, Velop or Google Hubs etc.

Some folk buy a Sonos Boost to do this switchover, but you can just cable-in any Sonos Speaker. It’s worth doing this switchover, because the Sonos WiFi signal works much better than some central-based routers... just look at this sonos support page and you will quickly see why that is.

Choosing between a Standard and BOOST Setup

B. When you successfully switch the system over to SonosNet, it’s advisable to then goto 'Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup' in the Sonos App and reset/remove your WiFi credentials... this will stop your speakers switching back and forth between the SonosNet WiFi signal and your routers WiFi signal. You just want everything on SonosNet.

Note: You can easily tell if all your Sonos devices are running on SonosNet. Just goto 'About my Sonos System' in the Sonos App Settings, where you will see a list of all your speakers etc. Each will have WM: 0 if the device is on SonosNet.
If you do see WM:1 that means it’s still using your routers WiFi signal.

C. Next comes the most complicated bit, but the good news here, is this step is completely optional. However, I strongly recommend you try to get this done, if you can. This is where a slight bit of networking knowledge is now needed.

The main router in a home network often has thing built into it called a DHCP server... this dishes out the IP addresses to all devices connected to the local network. You may have noticed the IP addresses assigned to all your Sonos devices in the 'About my Sonos System' list in the Sonos App Settings.

We want the DHCP Server to always give a Sonos device the same assigned IP address, every time. To do that we can use the routers DHCP Reservation Table.

Sadly all routers are not the same and the method of adding your Sonos devices to its DHCP Reservation table can vary. It means you probably have to read your router user manual, or look up how to do this via google, or quite often you may find a helpful video on YouTube, which explains how to do this for your particular brand of router.

In my case I had to log-into my router via a web browser using the username and password shown on the back of my router. I quickly found the page called DHCP Reservation and I just had to select my Sonos Devices in the list and assign them an IP address and set them to 'fixed' or 'static'. I had to save each entry and also the table/page itself.

I had a number of speakers to add to my DHCP Reservation Table and I chose to fix them in sequence, similar to the following:

Sonos Lounge Play-5 (Left) 192.168.1.200
Sonos Lounge Play-5 (Right) 192.168.1.201
Sonos Kitchen Play-1 (Left) 192.168.1.202
Sonos Kitchen Play-1 (Right) 192.168.1.203
Sonos Bedroom Play-1 (Left) 192.168.1.204
Sonos Bedroom Play-1 (Right) 192.168.1.205

Here too is an image from another routers DHCP Reservation Table, which was posted in the community recently, just as an example, by Stanley_4.. in order to give some users an idea of the type of thing they may see, but remember that these configuration pages can and do vary by brand/model of router.

And that’s almost it, but there’s one further thing that can cause lots of problems and interference for many Sonos users and that’s other wireless broadcasting devices in the home, such as WiFi extenders, repeaters and powerline adapters. They can be a real pain sometimes.

It is recommended that these are all set to the same 2.4ghz WiFi channel as your main router wifi channel, whilst running your Sonos speakers on SonosNet.

If possible though, I would suggest changing their broadcast SSID name, so that it’s an entirely different name to the main router SSID ...and perhaps even better still, switch off the 2.4ghz band wifi altogether and just use their 5ghz band instead.

Many of these things mentioned above, of course, are 'out of the hands' of Sonos and are just a means of providing a very stable core network and wireless platform onto which the Sonos Speaker System can then sit happily and trouble free from signal interference.

Other common problems are, failing old Sonos Bridge power supplies, where voltage drops below 5.1v. If you have that issue, replace the Bridge with another Sonos device, or replace the power supply or you could of course switch back to 'Standard WiFi Mode', but you are probably better off remaining on SonosNet IMHO.

Sometimes local firewalls can be an issue, so checkout this Support article for your particular firewall and check its configuration settings:

Configuring your firewall to work with Sonos

If you take your time and follow steps 1, 2, 3 and A, B, C above, which are not really that difficult, in most cases, then I’m confident, if done correctly, you will end up with a far more stable system, where all Sonos devices will always play nicely together for many years to come.

Remember, if you really do not know how to do these things, then find a friend that can help !
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
jgatie suggested this replacement power supply for failing Bridges:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/zonebridge-not-working-6808538#post16242893

https://www.amazon.com/OMNIHIL-Replacement-Adapter-Adaptor-Charger/dp/B01MT60JZX/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1529415803&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=sonos+bridge+power+supply&psc=1

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings