Answered

Sonos/wired speakers hybrid setup

• 9 June 2022
  • 1 reply

Previously I used to use my Playbar, sub and two Play 1s to mimic 5.1 at my old house. I recently moved and at my new house there are 4 JBL ceiling speakers, 2 (L+R) at the halfway mark between the TV and where we sit on the couch and another 2 behind the couch (L and R as well). So I'm wondering what my best setup will be if I use my existing Sonos speakers and the 4 wired speakers.

1. I definitely want the rear two to be part of my Sonos system. 

2. Could I use the middle speakers (between the couch and TV) as Front L+R, use the back ones as rears and have my two Play 1s paired but in the backyard as a different zone? 

3. Is there any configuration where I will not be able to use my Sonos sub with wired speakers in the mix?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 9 June 2022, 07:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7

You cannot add any more speakers to your Playbar/Sub/Play:1s home theater setup other than another Sub, but one of the Subs has to be a Gen 3. You can group more speakers to this setup in the Sonos app, but you will experience a slight audio delay from the grouped speakers when playing TV audio. Streaming music will be in sync.

You could use the two middle speakers as the two front channel speakers and the two rear speakers as surrounds along with the Sub for a 4.1 setup. This would require using two Sonos Amps to power the speakers. One Amp would power the two middle speakers and one Amp would power the two rear speakers. The Sub would connect wirelessly with the first Amp. The Playbar and Play:1s would not be used in this setup.

Another option is the Playbar, Sub, and two rear ceiling speakers (powered by an Amp). The middle speakers and Play:1s would not be used in this setup.

If I were you, I would continue to use the Playbar/Sub/Play:1s setup for TV audio. Then add one Sonos Amp to power the four ceiling speakers. They will be a separate zone that can be used on its own or grouped with the Playbar setup when streaming music.