SONOS S2 app need to be updated ASAP

• 5 December 2021
  • 29 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Will we one day be able to take full advantage of our purchase and have the possibility of increasing the volume to 110% or 120% when the music recording is weaker?

I use 5 devices (2x sonos five and 2x sonos one + sub) and I find that the sound is 2X LESS LOUDER than normal when I listen to Classical music (piano), for example recordings by Frederic Chopin, Beethoven , etc. Don't say the recording is bad I just use 100% TOP quality FLAC with my Tidal PREMIUM hifi loseless subscription, most of this music is often MASTER quality.

This happens not only with classical music but also with other kinds of music. It's really shocking to have an app that is no more reliable than that. The quality of Sonos speakers is EXCEPTIONAL but they are VERY POORLY USED with an application like SONOS S2. I feel my hands tied with this bad application, and the search mode is not good at all, if you forget a letter it cannot find any songs, low-end application, and so on!

29 replies

You do realize pushing the volume to 20% over the capability of the amplifier causes distortion, regardless of the level of the source material, right?  

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Lol pushing volume to 110% or 120% will not produce distortion with a weaker recording, this is just an extra boost needed to enjoy fully the capacity of the device. I have fully used my Sonos system since over 1 year and a half…every day and I know its maximum level and believe me on a lot of music it is largely underused because that. Vlc one of the most reliable and top rated audio player on the world have this feature, so what, are they all idiots?

So how would this be done in an old school system? Have an afterburner setting past a 100% volume level knob detent?:grin:

Or is this only a digital benefit some offer?!

Lol pushing volume to 110% or 120% will not produce distortion with a weaker recording, this is just an extra boost needed to enjoy fully the capacity of the device. I have fully used my Sonos system since over 1 year and a half…every day and I know its maximum level and believe me on a lot of music it is largely underused because that. Vlc one of the most reliable and top rated audio player on the world have this feature, so what, are they all idiots?

When did VLC start making audio hardware? LOL!

Seriously though - I rarely listen to classical, but even when I do, I have never needed to run any Sonos kit be it a speaker or Connect Amp, at 100%. It would be painfully loud. For all my usual listening of Jazz/Blues via a NAS or streaming services, I have never crossed 90%. 

Is your listening position too far away from your speakers? Reducing that distance may be a more sensible as well as a probably neighbour friendly answer.

The search facilities are what's provided by the streaming service. Some tolerate misspellings, some don't. 

As for the "bad" Sonos application, why not cast directly from the Tidal app instead. The Sonos speakers still won't render MQA of course. Tidal’s insistence on encoding with MQA could however have compromised the sound.

One final thought: the Sonos Volume Limit is not set is it? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You state: ‘I use 5 devices (2x sonos five and 2x sonos one + sub) and I find that the sound is 2X LESS LOUDER than normal when I listen to Classical music (piano), for example recordings by Frederic Chopin, Beethoven , etc. Don't say the recording is bad I just use 100% TOP quality FLAC with my Tidal PREMIUM hifi loseless subscription, most of this music is often MASTER quality.’ 

Could you define ‘normal’ in this sense?

Classical works typically have a lower average loudness, in order to accommodate a greater dynamic range. 

FWIW googling “tidal quieter” throws up quite a few relevant hits. Does the problem reproduce with other lossless services such as Deezer or Qobuz? Personally I’d choose any service other than Tidal anyway given their devotion to MQA, a format that’s attracted a lot of criticism.

Folks, looking back at previous threads where the OP was clearly deeply unsatisfied with Sonos we may be trying to push water uphill here...

Folks, looking back at previous threads where the OP was clearly deeply unsatisfied with Sonos we may be trying to push water uphill here...

Ahh...this is the poster that wanted a EQ slider for midrange as well mainly because the system in his car has it :joy:

One final thought: the Sonos Volume Limit is not set is it? 

:clap: Good one...

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

""Classical works typically have a lower average loudness, in order to accommodate a greater dynamic range.""

Ratty you got it! This is exactly the reason why sonos works well with pop music and rap and electro, because the recording level is so loud. But this is a big issue for those who want to listen lower loudness music like classical, we got half the power capable of our system. This is why in somes situations user should have control on that, sonos app is very limited that way. 

😂

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Kumar if writing here to laugh, ridicule and make unnecessary jokes without adding any value I do not find that to justify continuing like this. I give my opinion on points that I find relevant, if you do not agree you say it with respect and it stops there. This forum is based on respect. Community moderators should not tolerate such behavior.

But this is a big issue for those who want to listen lower loudness music like classical, we got half the power capable of our system. This is why in somes situations user should have control on that, sonos app is very limited that way. 

1. Where does this “half the power capable” come from? You never commented on whether the Volume Limit was set. 
  2. Limited Sonos app? Explain what happened when you tried casting from the Tidal app direct.
  3. Since you mentioned Chopin I just sampled some Previn/RPO - Piano Concerto No. 1 on Deutsche Grammophon (known for their quality) from Deezer FLAC. It’s verging on too loud at 70% played through Fives+Sub; 50% is more comfortable. Unless your hearing is degraded and/or the room is huge I don’t understand the problem.
Userlevel 1
Badge +5

1. Both of my level limit of my 2 rooms are set at 100% level.a

2. Same problem with the tidal app on casting mode since the app is on casting mode with sonos app. Sonos app do not lose control of the volume.

3. Lol my hearing is not degraded... i told you that most song like pop, electronic and rap music works very well.

2. Same problem with the tidal app on casting mode since the app is on casting mode with sonos app. Sonos app do not lose control of the volume.

The Sonos app is not ‘in control’. It’s simply reflecting the speaker volume however that was set, such as from the Tidal app. 

There’s internet chatter that Tidal is just ‘quieter’. Try a different service, even if only for a free trial. Since you like Classical have a go with Qobuz.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Already try it with others services on my PC...It do exactly the same thing too for all classical musics with my Rokit KRK 8 speakers but i can QUICKLY solve the problem by slighly increase the MASTER volume on my mixer without creating any distortions and any issues at all.

It sounds like you’ll just have to sit closer to your speakers then. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I am sit to about 4 feet from 2x sonos one and 10 feet from 2x sonos five. I find that this is the reasonable standard.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Perhaps you should get some Marshall amps, @Thewizard2000. As revealed by Spinal Tap, they have a volume control that goes up to 11. That gives you 110% compared to any that only go to 10. 😎😉

Userlevel 1
Badge +5
Deal! Buy me back my Sonos and I'll take the money for something else! :D
Deal! Buy me back my Sonos and I'll take the money for something else! :D

Threatened/promised two months ago. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I answer that to those who tell me to buy something else to laugh at me instead of simply answering nothing if there is no solution for the moment. Like, for example, offering me a guitar amp. I am going to slip a word to whom it may concern.

I am going to slip a word to whom it may concern.

If you really have such insider contacts, I sure wish you would have started there and saved us the aggravation.