Sonos S2 app icon on Mac

• 31 August 2020
  • 13 replies

This is a very minor thing but given that it’s an icon that is always visible on the dock would be great to see addressed. The current Sonos S2 icon on Mac doesn’t fit in with the design aesthetic of the Apple ecosystem at all. It’s just an oversized square without rounded corners that in my opinion just doesn’t look very good. Here is what it looks like currently:

Mac OS app icon

It’s also a bit weird because it doesn’t even seem to match the icon design used on the website and other apps. Here is what it looks like when referenced on the Sonos website:

Icon from Sonos website

Sonos speakers are sleek and cool. I think attention to other little design details in the app would fit better with the brand image.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @mcfarljw, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Regarding this concern about the S2 icon layout of the Sonos App on Mac. we'll make sure that we'll pass this on to our engineering team as a feature request. Rest assured that we'll try our best to improve your experience with our Sonos products.  

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Thanks @Simon B for the quick response and passing along the improvement.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @mcfarljw, thanks for the update, You’re Welcome.

If you have other questions with your Sonos products, feel free to reach out.

The Sonos community is always here to help. 

I solved this by downloading an app called LiteIcon (free) which allows you to easily replace the icon with one of your choice. I am using an old Sonos icon found in a Google image search.  Much nicer!

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @January_King, thanks for reaching out. Thank you for the suggestion, and I’m glad it worked for you. If you have other questions with your Sonos products, feel free to reach out.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

For all the others out there who care a bit about aesthetics on the screen they look at for hours every day, a great set of high-res Sonos icons can be found at

https://dribbble.com/shots/12909851-Sonos-replacement-icon-for-macOS-Big-Sur

and a short explanation of how to change icons in macOS without the need to download and install any 3rd party tool is available at

→  https://www.howtogeek.com/677739/how-to-change-app-file-and-folder-icons-on-mac/

It’s a bit disappointing that we’ll have to fix this ourselves and I hope the next version will come with an icon that better integrates with the macOS overall look & feel. Would be great not having to repeat this on every update.

Badge

Agree that the current icon has looked a bit silly for a while now - it’s like this giant rectangle from another planet occupying the maximum amount of space an icon can take! Happy someone made the (very good) replacement above; will be using that for now.

I agree that the current icon is an eyesore on my dock, and I too would like to change it. However when download Ihaeger’s icon set and and follow the linked instructions, the Sonos.app icon changes, and displays correctly in the Finder. But the default icon persists in the Dock. When loading, the new icon will display for a millisecond on the dock, but then promptly revert to the default icon. All other efforts I have made to rid myself of the default icon have failed, including killing the dock, restarts, safe boots, attempting to rebuild icon cache.  It just keeps showing up in the dock no matter what I do. Any one else have this problem or any ideas? Thanks!

Badge

I agree that the current icon is an eyesore on my dock, and I too would like to change it. However when download Ihaeger’s icon set and and follow the linked instructions, the Sonos.app icon changes, and displays correctly in the Finder. But the default icon persists in the Dock. When loading, the new icon will display for a millisecond on the dock, but then promptly revert to the default icon. All other efforts I have made to rid myself of the default icon have failed, including killing the dock, restarts, safe boots, attempting to rebuild icon cache.  It just keeps showing up in the dock no matter what I do. Any one else have this problem or any ideas? Thanks!

Did you try doing this? https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/01/06/how-to-change-app-icons-on-macos

I have tried using the steps listed on that appleinsider.com article many times. Unfortunately, something is stopping my preferred icon from being displayed, in the dock only. Anywhere else in the finder, the icon of my choice will be applied to the sonos app. In the dock, I am stuck looking at the default ugly tan square. I am using an Early 2015 MBP running macOS 10.14.6 and Sonos.app 12.2.2. Thanks for the help!

Brilliant. Worked a treat and looks so much better. Thank you so much.Amazing that they have not addressed that.

It was really annoying for us perfectionists!!  

It’s surprising to me that *eight months* (and several app updates) after this was posted, the icon still hasn’t been updated.

This probably seems like a trivial request (“Relax, it’s just an icon.”) but an icon is literally part of branding and therefore a reflection of an organization’s design priorities. Users interact with this icon whenever they want to access the application. We are literally being reminded daily that “Hey, this company doesn’t really care what the thing their users interact with most looks like.”

Eight months. Makes me ask myself other questions about Sonos. Makes me pay attention to a lot of other things that I might not because perhaps now I’m looking for it. I’m expecting it. Just throwing that out there.

Oh, sweet relief, thanks for the updated graphics lhaeger, that’s been bothering me for months!