SONOS Roam is infuriating

• 19 July 2021
  • 7 replies

I recently purchased a Sonos Roam and my thinking was very much that this was my first step into the world of Sonos and that I would very likely build out a full system from this starting point. I currently own a Naim Muso but was seriously considering changing over to Sonos as although the Muso is superb at delivering music it doesn’t handle TV & movies very well.

That thinking has frustratingly came to an abrupt halt as the Roam has been problematic since I’ve owned it and the user experience is frustrating to say the least. I really didn’t expect this to be the case but after yet another attempt to solve the bluetooth connection issue and hopefully pressing and holding the button for one second, three seconds five seconds etc, hearing a second bleep, not hearing any bleeps, trying to turn it off and it decides to turn itself back on and I’ve now admitted defeat after lots of expletives and will be sending it back.

I love simple beautiful design and I really do admire the thinking and engineering behind the Sonos range but one button controlling everything is a nice concept but in reality, from my experience at least it has delivered a very poor user experience.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

@Sprotacus 

Once you have paired the Roam, it’s easy to either leave it, or do the BT connection/disconnection on the mobile, rather than the speaker - as that really simplifies things.

Anyhow I found this YT video, which perhaps may also assist you:

Hi Ken, thanks for the reply. I’ve watched the video and tried to follow the steps along with it but I don’t hear any bleeps most of the time. I previously carried out a factory reset to try and rectify this which initially seemed promising when I set it up from scratch but it’s now back to not bleeping and being unresponsive (it has a charge).

I’m unsure whether the unit itself is faulty, or the button or its just a very poor ux design but I don’t seem to be alone. I am genuinely disappointed that I’ve reached the point that I feel I need to send it back. 

The volume of the ‘bleep’ sounds that the speaker power-button makes will increase/decrease with the volume control buttons on the speaker - perhaps turn up the volume a bit and see if that helps.

Thanks again Ken and everything is worth a try. I did turn the volume all the way up but the unit does not respond to the single tap on the button to go into standby mode as described in the video. The white light stays on. Also if I try and hold the button down to switch the unit fully off I don’t hear any bleeps (with the volume all the way up) It just goes through the cycle of turning off with the white light going out, the orange light coming on, the white coming back on and blinking during set up and then staying on.

I’ll try and reset and go through the full set up one last time.

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks again Ken and everything is worth a try. I did turn the volume all the way up but the unit does not respond to the single tap on the button to go into standby mode as described in the video. The white light stays on. Also if I try and hold the button down to switch the unit fully off I don’t hear any bleeps (with the volume all the way up) It just goes through the cycle of turning off with the white light going out, the orange light coming on, the white coming back on and blinking during set up and then staying on.

I’ll try and reset and go through the full set up one last time.

Thanks again for your help.

If you believe the Roam maybe faulty, then submit a system diagnostic and post it’s generated reference number back here and then perhaps contact/chat to Sonos Support Staff via this LINK 

Once again thanks for your help Ken. I managed to chat to the sonos support staff and after going through another factory reset procedure and a lot of back and forth we concluded that the unit has a hardware fault. They are going to send me a replacement unit.

I must say I was very impressed with the person I was dealing with in the support team which is a rare thing indeed these days.

Thanks again.

Ah that’s good to hear @Sprotacus. Glad that things are being sorted for you. Thanks for posting the outcome/feedback here too.👍