SONOS Playbase vs 2 PLAY 5s

• 21 December 2017
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Last week friday I've got a brand new Playbase to complement my audio setup. I already own a pair of Play5s Gen2 (I love them). I set up below my TV and my pair of Play5s I moved backwards to use them as surround speakers. Honestly speaking styling look amaizing. I was really happy.

Then, I played a couple of songs that I love playing in Play5s [Juno Reactor - Teahouse; Béla Fleck & The Flecktones - Flight of the cosmic hippo; Eagles - Hotel California (Live from Hell freeze over)] and I notice that sound performance decreased a lot. Low tones were not as good as previously, sound was like the speakers were about to crash. Notice that in the past the sound was simply amaizing. EQ was around 75% BASS; 50% TREBLE.

So I realizen that Playbase was causing this issue. I adjusted EQ and sound improves overall, however Play5s didn't sound as great as before. I removed surrounds and group back as stereo and sound went back to original. (75% BASS; 50% TREBLE)

Once again I tested same songs in Playbase but I adjusted EQ to 25% BASS; 50% TREBLE to get a sound not so powerful but at least I feel speakers performing correctly.

Then I played a couple of scenes from movies I love [Terminator - Rise of the machines; Matrix - Revolutions] and Playbase sound was not good. I felt all sound was coming from a FR CTR speaker, I could not identify difference between left and right. Using Play5s sounds incredible, you can really identify left / right sounds. (75% BASS; 50% TREBLE)

In addition since BASS level around 75%, mid and high tones I felt they dissapear and low tones were not accurate.

I made both with and without Trueplay. Actually I don't use it since Play5s sound really good. Using Trueplay the sound is more focused on mid/high tones so in general sounds it's kind of OK but not amaizing.

When I finished all my testing I felt a little dissapointed because my Play5s sound much more better without Playbase and I'm really thinking to return Playbase and keep my original set up.

My suggestions:

In Home theater mode with Play5s surrounds
- EQ should independient between Playbase and Surrounds.
- Music should be reproduced using surrounds, playbase should be only for TV/Movies.
- Wide range sound coming from Playbase needs to improve.

Wishlist:
- Develop a audio control module that accepts optical audio input (you already have it from Playbase/Playbar) to manage wirelessly 2.1/5.1 setup for instance: 2 Play5s + 2 Play1s + 1 Sub.

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, ilh23mx. Thanks for posting your findings. Have you tried changing music playback settings to full in Settings? This will use your PLAY:5 surrounds to their full capabilities with louder sounds and fuller range. Read more about this here.

Regarding the audio control module: I'll be happy to forward that request along to the team for consideration. Thanks for the feedback.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Hi Keith, actually I did, however even P5s were in full mode, PBase still reproduce music but sound was not great with such bass settings so in order to improve overall sound, I reduced bass in EQ but P5s sound decreased.

In addition stereo separation was not good as 2 P5s, tweeter layout helps a lot for this using P5s.

Finally I returned PBase... hope to get Sub in the near future.

Hopefully my suggestion for module development becomes a reallity, sure I get one for me.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I don’t quite think it’s fair to compare 2 Play 5s to a Playbase. Two Play 5s together are going to be more powerful and unless you have them sitting together (which no one would), of course they are going to produce a more expansive sound stage than the Playbase, which has its outermost drivers a maximum of about 26 inches apart.

I do wish Sonos would allow using 6 speakers in a 5.1 setup so you could have for example 2 Play 5s as the main front left and right, 2 Play 1s as surrounds, a Sub, and then let the Playbase concentrate on being a center speaker. This is a pretty expensive setup for which there are probably better options, but if you’re in the Sonos system it would allow more flexibility.
Badge
I do wish Sonos would allow using 6 speakers in a 5.1 setup so you could have for example 2 Play 5s as the main front left and right, 2 Play 1s as surrounds, a Sub, and then let the Playbase concentrate on being a center speaker. This is a pretty expensive setup for which there are probably better options, but if you’re in the Sonos system it would allow more flexibility.

I would like see this happen as well.
Userlevel 1
I do wish Sonos would allow using 6 speakers in a 5.1 setup so you could have for example 2 Play 5s as the main front left and right, 2 Play 1s as surrounds, a Sub, and then let the Playbase concentrate on being a center speaker. This is a pretty expensive setup for which there are probably better options, but if you’re in the Sonos system it would allow more flexibility.[/quote]

I would also like to see this option implemented.