Sonos Move delay - 37 days and counting

• 23 December 2020
  • 10 replies

• Contributor I
  • 4 replies

I ordered the Move on 11/15, well before the Black Friday rush and my order status just says “Processing”.  It’s been 37 days with nothing more than the original order confirmation email.  I emailed Support on 11/30 and was told on 12/4 to call Sales.  Spoke with Sales and Accounting on 12/7, both assured me that my order was fine and would be shipping out in the next day or two.  Now 12/22 and nothing.  Great tech but horrible operational processes.  Anyone know what’s going on with this company? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @BYTe,

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience, regarding your order you can freely call our sales team at 1-800-680-2345 to verify the status of your order.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Just received from Sonos...

”We do apologize for the inconvenience and the shipment has been delayed, We would like to inform you that your payment method is using Paypal. As it turns out, Paypal, Gift cards, Apple pay or Financing through klarna are not available for pre-order or back-ordered as a payment. 
Just to inform you that you need to cancel and replace your order and we can expedite your new order.”

This purchase was made on 11/15, well before Black Friday and Xmas buying season, and nothing during the purchase transaction stated it was a pre- or backorder.  Now telling me to cancel/reorder.  I don’t think so.  You’ve lost my trust in ordering directly from you.

I’ve not ever seen a PayPal (or Klarna) payment used in conjunction with any suppliers back-order transaction.

I don’t think there is any way to secure a "pre-authorisation hold” transaction in that situation. A pre-authorisation hold will only occur with a bank/credit-card transaction.

Thanks for your comment.  There was never any info from Sonos saying it was back ordered.  The purchase went through like any standard transaction using PayPal to charge to a bank credit card not PayPal balance.  As you know PayPal protects consumers by using their transaction platform instead of entering credit card information directly into retailer websites, which is why I prefer it.  More disappointing is Sonos’ responses first saying the order was fine (no mention of payment issue) and it was scheduled for delivery.  Now changing their story to cancel and re-order it. 

I understand with PayPal, that any transaction shows ‘immediately’ in the PayPal account and payment process begins almost straight away (either by bank card, direct debit, or account balance) and should complete (normally) within a few days… there’s not usually any lengthy delay in payment, so I would expect an order placed on November 15th to have been completed say within a 7-10 day period.

That payment method (up-front) is not something Sonos (or other reputable suppliers) would do for a back-order transaction, as payment is normally only taken by bank/credit card only when the items are shipped out to the delivery address.

So if the payment wasn’t taken by Sonos immediately, what did the PayPal transaction history show? - I’m just curious? - and why did you not choose to use the ‘PayPal resolution centre’ to resolve the matter in mid-late November?

There’s normally a suppliers invoice too with such PayPal payments (often sent same day, via email) that’s in addition to emails sent by PayPal for the payment - did you receive those?

I immediately received an email from my bank stating a charge from PayPal *SONOS was made to my credit card.  I didn’t seek PayPal resolution because I wanted the Sonos product at the promo price as a Christmas gift - too late now of course.  I have other Sonos components purchased through Costco which I have been very pleased with.  Amazon had the same promo price for the Sonos Move during Black Friday which is what prompted me to start inquiring about my shipment from Sonos.  I was told by Sonos Sales and Accounting on 12/7 that the order would be shipped out “in the next day or two” but it never happened.  Just upset that I was given wrong info and didn’t receive the unit to give as a gift, whereas Amazon for the same price would likely have delivered it in under a week.  You would think the mfg would have the better control of inventory.

I immediately received an email from my bank stating a charge from PayPal *SONOS was made to my credit card.  I didn’t seek PayPal resolution because I wanted the Sonos product at the promo price as a Christmas gift - too late now of course.  I have other Sonos components purchased through Costco which I have been very pleased with.  Amazon had the same promo price for the Sonos Move during Black Friday which is what prompted me to start inquiring about my shipment from Sonos.  I was told by Sonos Sales and Accounting on 12/7 that the order would be shipped out “in the next day or two” but it never happened.  Just upset that I was given wrong info and didn’t receive the unit to give as a gift, whereas Amazon for the same price would likely have delivered it in under a week.  You would think the mfg would have the better control of inventory.

I’m absolutely sure Sonos would honour the initial sale price paid - so that would not be an issue.

I’m not so sure, if it was a ‘gift’, I would have waited the length of time (37 days?) for its delivery and would have expected the goods delivered within a week or so of being notified that my bank was being charged.

I would also have used the PayPal resolution process - so I would have likely realised the situation far sooner.

I already have the Sonos Move and so know how good it sounds - it’s certainly one of my favourite Sonos speakers, so I would have just contacted Sonos on the phone to negotiate a way forward and see what came from the discussion - particularly as Sonos had offered a quick apology in writing, which I see is the case here.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@BYTe I’ve had similar experience on two different orders. I will never order from Sonos.com again. Second time it took like 50 days to receive an item labelled in stock when ordered. I feel your pain.

Get the Black Friday discount in writing. 

In addition they should be making it right by offering you an additional discount for their screw up IMO.

@BYTe I’ve had similar experience on two different orders. I will never order from Sonos.com again. Second time it took like 50 days to receive an item labelled in stock when ordered. I feel your pain.

Get the Black Friday discount in writing. 

In addition they should be making it right by offering you an additional discount for their screw up IMO.

I’ve not had the same experience, delivery date has always been shown on my purchase receipts, but it is a case that if a product is back-ordered you can only pay using a bank/credit card and Sonos do not take the payment until it’s ready to ship.

Clearly something went awry, during the busy holiday period, in this particular case with the PayPal transaction, but it seems a written apology was given and the original transaction price recorded. I would have just spoken to Sonos direct via phone to try to ‘resolve’ the matter.

As they say, “Misery loves company.” Thanks for your comments Bumper!!