Sonos keeps cutting off, randomly, no matter what. Sonos CS dropping the ball.

• 29 October 2019
  • 15 replies

We have a Sonos connect wired to our router and a Sonos one in our bedroom.

The system mostly works but randomly (after working fine for a few days) starts cutting off ( we stream Spotify or a radio station) . Changing the Sonos channel fixes the issue most of the time, but sometimes not. That's when I power cycle the Sonos receiver. This fixes the issue.

The error message I get from my Sonos app when music is cut off is something like “not enough bandwidth to play music” .  Streaming music requires between 160kpbs to a 2mpbs for the most demanding. I have 40 Mbps at home and our Sonos connect is wired to our router.

This is very frustrating as it has been going on since day 1 (almost a year now) and Sonos tech support has been a waste of time so far.

15 replies

Hi.  The ‘bandwidth’ message may be a bit misleading.  It may just be saying ‘I am struggling a bit here’. It might just be that the distance from the Connect to the Sonos One, intervening walls etc is such that the signal is weak.  As a troubleshooting exercise, move the One closer and see how it goes.

Your router should be set to a fixed channel (1, 6 or 11), not Auto.  Your Sonos should be on a different channel. The Connect should be at least 3 feet from the router.

Also, check in About My System in the app that the Connect and One have WM:0 not WM:1 next to them.

>It might just be that the distance from the Connect to the Sonos One, intervening walls etc is such that the signal is weak.  As a troubleshooting exercise, move the One closer and see how it goes.

Thank you for your quick response. Ok let's say it is a factor. Why would it affect the Connect outputing audio at all, as it is wired to the router and should be able to still output through its analog output while it may be struggling to stream to the Sonos One. 

>Your router should be set to a fixed channel (1, 6 or 11), not Auto

It is on a 3-digit channel (called “Control channel, not "wireless channel”). No choice to pick any channel lower than 36. Again, not possible to select channel 1 or 6 or 11.

>The Connect should be at least 3 feet from the router

The connect is wired to the router and next to it. Not wirelessly connected to it.

They both have WM:0

Hi.  There are a few things in your post that don’t really make sense, but before we tackle those, please could you confirm that the Connect’s analog out goes to a traditional hifi?  And that that plays without problems?

Yes ...the Connect analog audio out goes to audio receiver. It works...except when ..it cuts off. 

When there's a cut off, both Connect and One cut off. 

and that, John B. makes no sense.

I know the Connect is wired to the router.  But they are both broadcasting wireless signals and if they are too close together there is a greater risk of wireless interference. Put them 3 feet apart, still wired, if possible.

Ok Did. Let's see if it helps. Thank you.

Now what doesn't make sense in my previous post?

The channel numbers you refer to almost certainly relate to the 5GHz frequency band.  Almost every router on the market also has a 2.4GHz frequency band with channel numbers 1 to 11.  What make and model is your router?

inSSDIer shows my wireless router channel is 157. It's an Asus RT-N66R.

The router's UI shows the same thing.

Or perhaps I am just confused.

Should I change the Band to 2.4GHZ and then Control channel scroll down menu will list 1, 6 and 11?

Ok Did. Let's see if it helps. Thank you.

Now what doesn't make sense in my previous post?

Well telling me the Connect was wired and implying the wireless therefore didn’t matter for a start.

But I had assumed, wrongly, that the issue was only with the Sonos One.  The analog out doesn’t worry me though. The next thing I would check would be the Ethernet cable from the router to the Connect to eliminate that.as a problem.  Can you try a different cable, into a different port on the router?

inSSDIer shows my wireless router channel is 157. It's an Asus RT-N66R.

The router's UI shows the same thing.

Or perhaps I am just confused.

Should I change the Band to 2.4GHZ and then Control channel scroll down menu will list 1, 6 and 11?

Yes I would try that.  I suspect that this is telling you this is where you control the channel, not that there is something called ‘control channel’.  Every router is differernt though

Did InSSIDer not show any 2.4GHz band from your router? You may have to look at a different screen.

Ok. Wireless router ch. now set on 1.  Sonos wireless channel is 11 and there's over 3 feet between router and Sonos Connect.

Let's see how it goes, and thank you much for the troubleshooting!

The fact that the Connect stops too does make it less likely that it is anything to do with wireless.  The problem has to be upstream of the Connect.

I would change the Ethernet cable too.  That is the route through which data for both devices passes.

You may know this already, but it works like this.  Packets of digital data come into your router and are passed along the Ethernet cable to the Connect.  As you are using analog out, the Connect’s DAC converts it to analog audio and sends it on to your receiver.  The Connect also sends the digital data wirelessly over SonosNet to the Sonos One, which converts it to analog music, amplifies it and pushes it out the speaker.

If the two devices are grouped together to play in sync then there is all sorts of clever stuff going on with timing cues to keep them in sync.

Your wireless set up is now better and that can only be a good thing.  But both units cutting out makes me think that isn’t the whole story.

IP addressing is another possible problem area but let’s leave that for now.