Sonos just doesn’t get it !

• 16 August 2022
  • 6 replies

Sonos needs a Home Theater Port/ processor. 3 hdmi inputs and 1 hdmi out 12 volt trigger and that’s about it. They would sell like hot cakes. There is a ton of theater people with nice amp setups but would like to have the Sonos control. They should also do a 5.1 Sonos amp for people who already have in wall speakers for there legacy system. It would not affect there speaker sales. There just going to bring more customers into there ecosystem.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Where do you get your numbers from? And how many is “a ton of theatre people”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not completely sure what such a HT processor would do for the user (or Sonos)? Can you explain?

Sonos is about less speakers and less cables. How does a 5.1 HT receiver fit into this?

Sonos needs a Home Theater Port/ processor. 3 hdmi inputs and 1 hdmi out 12 volt trigger and that’s about it. They would sell like hot cakes. There is a ton of theater people with nice amp setups but would like to have the Sonos control.

They can just add a Port to their existing ‘nice amp setup’.

They should also do a 5.1 Sonos amp for people who already have in wall speakers for there legacy system. It would not affect there speaker sales. There just going to bring more customers into there ecosystem.

It’s called a Sonos Amp.

Sonos needs a Home Theater Port/ processor. 3 hdmi inputs and 1 hdmi out 12 volt trigger and that’s about it. They would sell like hot cakes. There is a ton of theater people with nice amp setups but would like to have the Sonos control.

You’re going to have to explain this a little better.  The product you’re describing sounds like your basic HDMI switch, and there are plenty of options out there already.  Not to mention that the vast majority of home theatre receivers have multiple inputs already. Do you want the switching to be controllable through the Sonos app? The Port would pass streaming audio through the Port as well?

Just my opinion, but I don’t think Sonos wants to make this HT Port as it would only serve to draw away sales for their other home theatre products at best.   Half the people who are interest in this will complain that 3 inputs are not enough.  Anyone who is looking for a more robust HT setup will prefer to use the HDMI switching on their AV receiver rather than via Sonos, and get a standard Port as a means to bring in streaming audio and distribute TV audio through the rest of the house.

They should also do a 5.1 Sonos amp for people who already have in wall speakers for there legacy system. It would not affect there speaker sales. There just going to bring more customers into there ecosystem.

You can use a Sonos amp for the front speakers (with phantom center) and a 2nd amp for rear speakers. You get pretty much the same thing already, except the 2 amps don’t need to be located in the same spot.  Perhaps there is something to be gained by making a 3.1 amp, but not sure there is really a big market for that.

Example: I have in wall speakers for home theater with multiple amps. I have a processor that I want to upgrade. I already have a Sonos connect for music. I would like a Sonos for music and movies. A processor that decodes movie audio formats that has a nice interface to control from iPad or iPhone. I don’t want a sound bar and I don’t need amps. However a 3.1 amp front and 2.1 for rears would be great for others who already have in wall speakers and need amps. How is this not understood ? I guess a port with hdmi in and hdmi out would be fine.

However a 3.1 amp front and 2.1 for rears would be great for others who already have in wall speakers and need amps. 

I have to repeat @ratty ‘s comment.  It’s called a Sonos Amp (or close enough for most people).

I guess a port with hdmi in and hdmi out would be fine.

But the Port only does stereo, and can’t be used with a Sonos Sub, so it’s hardly a trivial redesign.