Answered

Sonos Community doesn’t stay logged in

• 12 February 2019
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
The Sonos Community does not remember my username and password for very long. When I go to access it the next day I am signed out and have to login again. I wish that it would remember my credentials (despite me checking Remember Me). Is this an issue for anyone else? I experience it on Safari (Apple iOS 12.1) on both iPhone and iPad and also on the latest version of Google Chrome on macOS Mojave.
icon

Best answer by Keith N 12 February 2019, 23:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi mike13

Yours is the first I've seen commenting on Sonos website timeouts. However, Sonos will most likely address your concern. Click the link below to learn how to make it known to Sonos.

Cheers!

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/legal/website-accessibility
Yes, it has long been an annoyance on iOS devices. I don’t use the subpar Safari, stick strictly to a Chrome, but even there it logs out and won’t auto login on iOS. On the vastly superior Android OS, of course, it works perfectly, as expected. 😉. Works as expected on ChromeOS, too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Always have to log on on Android. I recall a thread a while back where users gave lots of use cases. I think it ended up being 'as designed'.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
It happens to me too. iPhone running 12.1.4. using Safari. I have the "Remember me" box checked. It’s been happening to me since I set up my account. I though it was just a normal timeout timer
I've always assumed the "remember me" was purely a psychological panacea. Seems like I have to sign in around 95% of the time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Always have to log on on Android. I recall a thread a while back where users gave lots of use cases. I think it ended up being 'as designed'.
Here is that thread, with some helpful insight from Ditte.

I've got an answer to you all regarding "remember me" when logging in through the Single Sign On. We asked internally to understand how the feature is supposed to be working, and got the following answer back:

" "Remember me" is only for remembering the email, and nothing else. It doesn't keep the user logged in or auto log the user in. This is a shared feature of the entire login mechanism."
So, long story short, it's not supposed to auto-login, and InSided can't force that due to data security.
If you do experience a smooth auto login, it's most likely a browser feature or setting.

That said, it should be remembering just your e-mail address. If you would like for your password to be remembered, you may want to take a look at password vaults and other browser tools.
Userlevel 7
To be honest I'm not getting all the hub-bub over this thread. None of my websites that require a log-in keep me logged-in through infinity. In fact I'd be a bit concerned if they did.

The sites that I use on a regular basis will hold my ID (in partial form) so I don't have type it in but my password is never held. There are exceptions wherein a site gives me the option to check the box "Keep me logged in" which I never do anyway. However, even they will remember (i.e. populate) my ID.

From my experience there is a difference between "Remember Me" vs Keep Me Logged In". The former only for your ID which is what the Sonos website offers.

To take this a step further some sites (financial in particular) will ask if you want them to remember the computer you're using. Such as public or personal. On more sensitive sites I've opted for two-step verification.

If I'm not mistaken the Sonos site will keep you logged in as long as you don't close your browser. I'll have to monitor that behavior going forward.
I think the "hub-bub", as you put it, is that the great majority of websites, when you click on "remember me", remember both the user name and the password.

This isn't a significant issue for me, at the end of the day...
Sorry, let me modify my phrase "great majority" to "frequently visited by me", such as Facebook, etc.

And why do I associate "hub-bub" with Apple Pie? Was there a childrens book by that name?
Most of the sites I frequent I remain logged in. This site logs me out each and every time. The nuisance is when you get an email notification that a response has been provided in a thread you’re following and you click the link. It then brings you to the page but you cant respond because you need to log in. If you dont log in once visiting the page, you wont get any further notifications that there has been an additional response.

Again most sites keep you logged in (Facebook, two RVing sites, two news sites (Washington Post for example).
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Most of the sites I frequent I remain logged in. This site logs me out each and every time. The nuisance is when you get an email notification that a response has been provided in a thread you’re following and you click the link. It then brings you to the page but you cant respond because you need to log in. If you dont log in once visiting the page, you wont get any further notifications that there has been an additional response.

Again most sites keep you logged in (Facebook, two RVing sites, two news sites (Washington Post for example).

Yes even if you use a password manager like LastPass, always having to login to the Sonos Community is a nuisance. This is because the link in the email takes you to read a post in the thread, not to the login page. Then on iOS if you click login it doesn't redirect you back to the link that you clicked on in the email (it takes you to the Community Home page). It would be nice if the Sonos Community allowed you to check a "keep me logged in" box at login.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm not getting logged out, did have to whitelist the Sonos cookies in my browser to get that to work.