Sonos 5 line Only ( no delay )

Badge

Hello Everyone,

Below is a simple trick to use your Sonos 5 playback as a normal AMP speaker with Line-In without any delay.

1-Reset Sonos, walkthrough initial product setup using wired network connection.

2-set delay to 75-ms and disable compression

3-connect audio jack from both ends, make sure you can hear the sound of the device connected and playing ( you will notice the delay )

4-disconnect or unplug the ethernet, no more delay, and Sonos can now be used as generic speaker.

Tip: if you have a managed or smart network switch, you can remotely control the network interface connected to Sonos, so you can switch between Sonos mode and Speaker only mode!

Hope this will help someone in the feature.

Best

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

3-connect audio jack from both ends, make sure you can hear the sound of the device connected and playing ( you will notice the delay )

4-disconnect or unplug the ethernet, no more delay, and Sonos can now be used as generic speaker.

Presumably, you have witnessed the delay disappearing as soon as you removed the ethernet wire, perhaps with a stutter caused by a forward time jump?

This is a very good workaround, if it works, I am surprised that it has not have been discovered till now.

Another question: so this Sonos speaker will not play in grouped mode with other Sonos kit, having become a stand alone unit lacking that and other smart features?

I am sure this claim will be tested soon over here, because it can be proved/disproved very easily.

It would be educational to know if this is a PLAY:5 Gen 1 or gen 2, or a Sonos Five, since there is no Sonos 5 speaker. 

If it works on any version, it should work on all I should think, the delay is there for essential foundational needs as soon as there is more than one Sonos unit in the set up.

If.

I cannot for the life of me think why this should work. I also struggle to believe it could have remained undiscovered through the whole history of Sonos. 

But I shall suspend disbelief for the moment and ask exactly how you are proving there is no lag and with which device?

Badge

Hello Everyone

This work around works, and i am using it as we speak

Sonos Model is PLAY:5 Gen 1

Regarding Sound delay, i am not exactly sure, but seems whenever Sonos App or smart features gets involved in sound routing, the delay occurs, when Network is switched off, the delay from Lin-in disappears, that said, i can assume Sonos is creating additional processing for the sound input causing the delay.

Regarding grouping Sonos speakers, not sure either as i only have one, but i can assume that it won’t work, but you can try enabling the feature then disconnecting the ethernet and trying it out ( maybe connect both Sonos ad-hoc mode via ethernet cable? ) 

As per proving there is no lag, you can simply try it and connect to a TV, pref to be a video playback so you can notice if there is any delay or not.

I think as Kumar said, it should work on any device.

As per proving there is no lag, you can simply try it and connect to a TV, pref to be a video playback so you can notice if there is any delay or not.

I think as Kumar said, it should work on any device.

No, something more challenging like DJing is needed - the TV lipsync is so “loose” as it is, that I don't see any issues even when the delay is being added by Sonos, and not even when I watch things like strumming, or drumming, closely on music videos where sound is via Sonos Connect. Sometimes in my set up I even wonder if there are two opposite delays happening offsetting each other significantly!

But soon enough someone will post something definitive on this, I am sure!

Badge

I am currently using Sonos on my Mac, but also tried it on a Mobile Phone, Airport Express using Airplay and TV.

Even when setting the delay to 75ms, it is still noticeable and very annoying when playing movies, however as soon as you unplug the cable ( make sure Wifi was not initially set-up ) delay is gone.

Badge

As per something more challenging, you guys have to try that out.

Even when setting the delay to 75ms, it is still noticeable and very annoying when playing movies, however as soon as you unplug the cable ( make sure Wifi was not initially set-up ) delay is gone.

Regardless of anything else, if it works for you, it works! So enjoy.

Badge

Yep, i was using the Sonos device for just Internet Radio in my living room due to this issue.

Now it is back to life and using it on my Mac

I think Sonos should create a proper Workaround for people who just want to use Line-in mode and still be able to control the product through the App ( Equalizer. etc … )

Are you saying that now you cannot reach the 5 via the app? Again, I can’t see a reason for this - have you also disable WiFi on the unit?

Badge

No i was explaining my use case

And it is normal that once network cable is unplugged, 5 cannot be reachable, so using this method will disable network for the Sonos ( assuming Wifi is disabled )

In my setup, i have a Sonos connected via Line-in to my mac, and ethernet to my switch ( no WIFI )

When i want Sonos mode, i access the switch and turn on the port connected to Sonos, this will make Sonos app fully operational.

When i want Speaker Only mode ( 0 delay Line-in ), i access the switch and turn off the port connected to Sonos, this will make the 5 unreachable via the app, and only usable as Line-In.

And it is normal that once network cable is unplugged, 5 cannot be reachable, so using this method will disable network for the Sonos ( assuming Wifi is disabled )

In my setup, i have a Sonos connected via Line-in to my mac, and ethernet to my switch ( no WIFI )

When i want Sonos mode, i access the switch and turn on the port connected to Sonos, this will make Sonos app fully operational.

When i want Speaker Only mode ( 0 delay Line-in ), i access the switch and turn off the port connected to Sonos, this will make the 5 unreachable via the app, and only usable as Line-In.

From the above it seem that you may have missed a step in your four steps - should step 4 be disable WiFI, followed by your step 4?

For someone who want to test this solution by actually running it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Makes sense as "offline" it doesn't have to buffer the input.

It would be simple to verify. Split a 3.5mm feed from whatever source is available. Send one to the P:5, and one to a conventional speaker or headphones. See if they sound in sync.

Speech is better than music for this test; even better if you have a series of clicks/transients such as exists on some YouTube sync tests.

75ms would be obvious. When adjusting TV delay I can tell if headphones and speaker are out by as little as 10ms. All things being equal the one in front sounds fractionally louder. 

Badge

From the above it seem that you may have missed a step in your four steps - should step 4 be disable WiFI, followed by your step 4?

For someone who want to test this solution by actually running it.

not sure about  other products, but the 5 needs an additional step to setup wireless connection, and since i mentioned to reset the product in step one, the above steps should be enough. i guess

As per splitting the jack, i just tried it with passive splitter, first connected to Sonos the second connected to a generic speaker, 

they are totally in sync, i have used a piano simulator on a mac, and music app for the test.

75ms would be obvious. When adjusting TV delay I can tell if headphones and speaker are out by as little as 10ms. All things being equal the one in front sounds fractionally louder. 

I think it would take very little for the delay to be intrusive when it came to the sound from two speakers, the echo would be obvious very soon. Things may be less sensitive when just watching the TV with that delay with no other speaker in the frame; I have not found any issue with careful watching and now of course, I don't bother to do that.

Badge

if someone has a P 5 , please test it to confirm its not a glitch at my end.

thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I assume that since the WiFi credentials haven’t been input and the device isn’t on Sonosnet, the status of the unit’s WiFi is irrelevant - there’s nothing for it to ‘talk’ to?

The test with the P5 and a generic speaker connected to a piano simulator is about as good a test as I can think of.

One thing though - do you need to activate line-in mode in advance?

Badge

i think that could be a missing step activating line in prior to disconnecting, i do not remember for sure but i do remember i was in the line in settings and enabled auto play and set the volume level.

i will test it with and without and let you know

anyway, seems even if line in is enabled, when network is disconnected Sonos sound processing on line-in seems to be turned off or at least at minimum

anyway, seems even if line in is enabled, when network is disconnected Sonos sound processing on line-in seems to be turned off or at least at minimum

From what I understand, the delay is there for all sources, not just line in, as a requirement of getting all speakers in a group to perfectly sync; with line in, it just happens to be visible to the user. 

You seem to have unearthed something new/useful!

Badge

yep

however i do not think this is useful enough, beside using Play 5 as a generic speaker, which is everything i personly need.

but i am surprised as how much this thread is having inputs and now exited to try some more experiments

for example, playing around with network and some firewall rules to block/allow Sonosnet specific traffic

i think local vs Sonosnet traffic can be filtered, if that is true i belief we can reach a phase while we have Sonos smart features operating with zero delay while still localy reachable via the app

what do you think?

I don’t know enough of all you are saying except to say - experiment away! No harm can come of that.

But I don’t suppose this solution will work if one wants to use two 5 units as left/right channels for TV via audio out jacks on the TV?

PS: It should work actually, if one wires the left channel from the TV to one unit, and the right to the other, with no need to set up the 5 units as a stereo pair?

And then, via some of the stuff you are referring to, also be able to stream music from the net via the two units, in stereo?

That would be neat. Too good to be true?!

Badge

I don’t know enough of all you are saying except to say - experiment away! No harm can come of that.

But I don’t suppose this solution will work if one wants to use two 5 units as left/right channels for TV via audio out jacks on the TV?

i think if you only wish to do that and do not care about thr Sonos app, it can work easily, buy following the above steps on each P5 and using ratty`s method to split the jack.

that will work in offline mode.

the challenge is to do that but still use the app to control the Sonos devices.

i think if you only wish to do that and do not care about thr Sonos app, it can work easily, buy following the above steps on each P5 and using ratty`s method to split the jack.

that will work in offline mode.

the challenge is to do that but still use the app to control the Sonos devices.

As I said in my PS - there is no need to even split the jack if the TV has two. 

As to challenge, yes, but I thought you wanted the next one?!