Sonos 2 disappointment

• 17 July 2021
  • 6 replies

Am I the only person that is moving away from Sonos due to this Sonos 2 compatibility crap that they tried a few years ago and stopped? I’ve invested close to $5,000 for my entire house over a couple years and have had enough. I can’t afford to buy a house full of new sound products every few years. Any suggestions on options? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Not sure what you mean by Sonos 2. Is that the S2 operating system? You can still run the S1 operating system, and your Sonos continues to work as it always has, you just don’t get to add any of the new versions of speakers, or get any of the new software features.

But all that money you spent on equipment is still working exactly as it always has, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. It seems like it would be a waste of money to stop using stuff that continues to work as it always has, just because you have “had enough”. 

Userlevel 1

Have to agree with ToddRB on this one as the lack of integration of new products like Roam and Move with our legacy S1 products is a betrayal of those loyal Customers that helped make the company successful.

I could understand Sonus developing S2 to take advantage of additional features that may not be available for S1 compatible equipment, but to not make them backward compatible at some basic level is either lazy or incompetent - the alternative, suggesting this by design smacks of a company seeking to generate future revenue from planned obsolescence rather than innovation.

And having separate S1 and S2 platforms is a joke...the whole point of Sonus is to sync across multiple devices/locations.  Like the OP, I’m not about to replace over 14 Sonus Connect/ZP100 devices that feed architectural ceiling/wall speakers throughout 2 homes and replace them with lesser quality Sonus speakers.  

... that feed architectural ceiling/wall speakers throughout 2 homes and replace them with lesser quality Sonus speakers.  

I can understand your reluctance to replace the electronics, however, you could continue to use your present wall/ceiling speakers.

Late production CONNECT and CONNECT:AMP will work with S1 or S2. ZP100 is S1 only.

Have to agree with ToddRB on this one as the lack of integration of new products like Roam and Move with our legacy S1 products is a betrayal of those loyal Customers that helped make the company successful.

I could understand Sonus developing S2 to take advantage of additional features that may not be available for S1 compatible equipment, but to not make them backward compatible at some basic level is either lazy or incompetent - the alternative, suggesting this by design smacks of a company seeking to generate future revenue from planned obsolescence rather than innovation.

And having separate S1 and S2 platforms is a joke...the whole point of Sonus is to sync across multiple devices/locations.  Like the OP, I’m not about to replace over 14 Sonus Connect/ZP100 devices that feed architectural ceiling/wall speakers throughout 2 homes and replace them with lesser quality Sonus speakers.  

It’s Sonos.  S-O-N-O-S.  SONOS!!!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Well that was constructive.

Well that was constructive.

Teaching people how to properly spell is always constructive.  Besides, the poster has been corrected before, they do it as shtick.