So long Sonos

• 20 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Just got the Roam.  Was very excited to buy it.  Unfortunately it is not S1 compatible.  Setting up a split system with S1 and S2 seems unnecessarily complicated, take down S1, add S2, recreated S1, etc.  Alternatively I could just throw out my first generation S5 speakers and replace them at $500 a piece - oh wait, there is the 30% discount … seriously?

The whole thing just turned into a very frustrating experience.  I have been a Sonos customer for a loooong time - will use my current system for the time being but done with Sonos.  Company does not stand behind it’s products and obviously doesn’t value long-time customers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Deleted

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

S1 will not let us do all the things the new devices can and will do going forward. Those old Gen 1 speakers with 64mb of ram cannot handle what the new 1Gb ram Sonos ones will be able to do. Including hi-fi audio, possible surround expansion 7.2,9.2?, etc 

It probably would’ve been best to keep the roam on Bluetooth to be honest and just keep all the S1 gear together 

It’s indeed unfortunate you did no research before making your purchase of the Roam. It has been known since the announcement of the S1 / S2 split that any new Sonos speaker will not work with S1. 

I hope you’re able to recover your investments in Sonos. They do tend to keep their value fairly well.