So fed up with this company!

Badge
questions to their customer service is always answered with some crappy standard email.
Forcing updates on absolutely everything constantly. Why?
I want to use an old Mac to serve as the music library, impossible to use as it’s can’t run the sonos desktop version 10.0.
I don’t understand why no one is reacting to this.
I have 9 rooms in my house, so I can’t say I don’t like the simplification and their product. I just wish there was another composting product out there...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

You can still use an old Mac as a music library, the Sonos software does not need to "run" on the device that holds the data. For instance, there's no Sonos software on my NAS at all. All the Sonos controller needs, on whatever device you're running it on, is access to the device that's holding the data.

However, if you want to read more, there's already a thread about this issue here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/updates-to-the-desktop-controller-coming-soon-6813300
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sorry to hear you're having a rough time, sigdug. As Bruce posted, it's possible to use the Mac to work as a music share for your system, even if you can't run the software on it. You'll just need to turn on sharing and SMB and then use a different controller to locate the computer on the network. If it's failing to find the computer, it could be all sorts of firewall or OS network/sharing trouble that's causing the fault, so giving us a call on our support line to work with a technician live is a good way to go.

When it comes to troubleshooting via email, there are some basics we always start with, but it sounds like you may be past the point where email is going to work.
Badge
As I read it you still need the sonos desktop version to be able to get your music library recognizes by sonos.
And that’s not possible if you are using one of your older macs as they don’t have the latest iOS.
Badge
Hi Ryan,
Impossible for me to be more clear in contacting you per email, even the heading states what I want to achieve. Seems that you guys don’t even bother to read the email before replying with some time wasting information.
As both Ryan and I said, you do not need a desktop version to be able to get your music library recognized by Sonos.

It is perfectly acceptable to use just a phone to run the Sonos controller, and still have your music on a desktop computer or NAS.

And all Macs don't run iOS, they would be running either OS x or MacOS. But it just doesn't matter, as long as their disk drives (with the music library on it) is available to the network (via the SMB interface that Ryan was speaking about), the Sonos controller on your phone or other mobile device (like an iPad) would work to control your Sonos, playing the music library that lives on your Mac.
You can use any Mac to host the music library. Jeez you can use a NAS or even a USB flash drive in some circumstances. It is just a folder of music files, you just need the network folder path to set it up from a completely different device. If you are too stubborn to believe correct information when you are given it then any problems you have are your own fault. (For the avoidance of doubt I am not a Sonos employee and therefore I am not paid to be polite.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I hear you, sigdug, that's why I'd suggest giving us a call. I'll have a look at your email history and make sure the right eyes can take a look and see how things should have been better there, but to best get you all sorted out, it'd be best to speak with a technician live.
Badge
I have tried to solve this myself based on your comments and using google to search for similar issues. It all ended with me getting the following error: "The computer XXX refused to let the Sonos player connect to it" (yes the computer name is under 15 characters)
I then tried to contact your 24/7 service on Facebook, but lead to nothing.
I see most of the issues end in someone asking to submit a System Diagnostics report, so i have done the same and pray that someone here can assist.....
System Diagnostics: 668460186

Thank you..
Sig
Badge
Well, i got a reply for customer service on FaceBook. (attached screenshot) seems OsX is not compatible with sonos????
Well, i got a reply for customer service on FaceBook. (attached screenshot) seems OsX is not compatible with sonos????
Do you own a iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch running iOS 10 or above?
Badge
yes, i have iphoneX, ipad pro, macbook pro, but i want to use my old iMac to run music from it as it has 1t storage, the imac is old and i cant load the desktop version of the controller (v10).
I know should be able to link the library from another device, but i get the error message "The computer XXX refused to let the Sonos player connect to it"
This was reported to the rep of Sonos on Facebook messenger and the reply was the one i posted....
Which OS X is your Mac running?
Badge
Which OS X is your Mac running?
Badge
Thank you Smilja for taking the time, i know its not your responsibility, the from Sonos side its a complete tragedy....
1) The simple solution: Install the Mac controller on your Macbook Pro, go to 'Manage --> Music Library Settings, set up the music share by entering the path to your old Mac; afterwards you can control the playback from any of your other Apple devices that has the Sonos app installed on.

2) The fiddling around solution: In the iOS app tap on 'More --> Settings --> Manage Music Libray --> Music Library Setup --> (at the bottom of the screen) Add New Share'.
Badge
Thanks, I;ll try that now.
You menttioned the computer name. Have you checked that the netBios name and computer name are identical, as well as under 15 characters and having no special charaacters?

This link may help

https://www.qualityology.com/tech/rename-network-name-for-mac-os-x/