Question

Smooth Upgrade

• 2 August 2020
  • 1 reply

Hello,

Thought I’d post about a smooth upgrade experience.  My system includes 2 paired Play 5’s with a Sub, a Play 3, a PlayBase paired with two play 1’s, a Sonos One, another Play 1, & a Connect.  I’ve been using the S1 Controller for a while now.  Today I upgraded my two old Play 5’s to new Sonos Fives.  This forced me to the S2 Controller.  Here are the steps I followed:

1. Remove all S2 incompatible devices from my system.   This included the two Play 5’s, and the Connect.  Simple setting under the IOS Sonos app > System
  2. I then went through the setup procedure for the new Sonos Fives which included upgrading the System to S2.  
  3. Once that was done I had setup the Stereo pair for the new Five’s and add the Sub and then Auto Tune the room.
  4. Next I had setup my Connect which is plugged into a Receiver using the S1 controller.  This was like a brand new setup and is now a separate system (Sonos calls it a Split system). 

Everything worked perfectly as advertised.  I will upgrade my Connect to a Port sometime soon which will allow me to put the Master Bedroom back into the main S2 System and get rid of the Split system, but for now I’m very happy.  The New Sono’s Fives sound amazing !  

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @User415831.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community and providing your honest feedback to our product and how you find a way to set up your speakers without any hassle.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.