seriously

• 23 January 2020
  • 6 replies

I guess it safe to assume that after I repurchase the 5k worth of equipment I already own that this will happen again in the future?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi mmags, our commitment is to support products with software updates for a minimum of five years after we stop selling them, and we have a track record of supporting for longer. We’re finally at the point after over 15 years where some of our oldest hardware can’t update anymore with the rest of the system. All of the affected devices were designed over a decade ago. Those devices will continue on as legacy devices, playing music and getting what bug fixes we can to keep them going, but they can’t get new features.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I guess it safe to assume that after I repurchase the 5k worth of equipment I already own that this will happen again in the future?

Yes, is the answer to your question. It will happen again.

YOU TOTAL SLIMEBALLS!!!

DISCONTINUING?   AND I BOUGHT SOME OF THIS STUFF A COUPLE YEARS AGO AT BEST BUY EVEN THOUGH YOU CLAIM IT IS CIRCA 2011.

I WILL NOT!!! ACCEPT YOUR 30% DISCOUNT. I HAVE OVER $3000 INVESTED IN YOUR STUFF. 

MOVNG ON TO ANEW BRAND.

HW DARE YOU AND GOOD RIDDANCE

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I got burned by Best Buy selling me stuff that had been sitting in the back for well over a year so that is a possibility.

A second is you are talking about a Connect and not checking the production date (first four of the serial number) to see if you have a current or a pre-2015 version, only the old one is going legacy.

You can easily check it on your Sonos page.

https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/system/households/devices/

It will; and the way around this is to look for a cheap smart box that becomes obsolete in a 3-4 years and can be throw away, connected to a box of audio components that can be as expensive as sound quality/budgets justify, so long as there is the parts and service support available for such boxes that come at high price points. That box can then serve for years, even decades.

Where Sonos is concerned, I would stick to the cheapest in the range to minimise exposure to such future risks, if integrated boxes are a must.

Short to medium term, look for ways to extend the life of the present investment - there are many feasible ways to do this.

YOU TOTAL SLIMEBALLS!!!

DISCONTINUING?   AND I BOUGHT SOME OF THIS STUFF A COUPLE YEARS AGO AT BEST BUY EVEN THOUGH YOU CLAIM IT IS CIRCA 2011.

I WILL NOT!!! ACCEPT YOUR 30% DISCOUNT. I HAVE OVER $3000 INVESTED IN YOUR STUFF. 

MOVNG ON TO ANEW BRAND.

HW DARE YOU AND GOOD RIDDANCE

Any new brand is going to be susceptible to the same thing.  Smart devices cannot be upgraded in perpetuity.  Period.  Most brands, like Bose, simply end the product line instead.  Are you really better off with that?