S2: switch slap in the face to loyal customers

I know I’m preaching to the choir here but I just wanted to express my extreme disappointment in the choice that the Sonos (Google) management team made not to include legacy devices in the rollout of S2. I do not accept that it’s a technology issue. It was a business decision -full stop.

Sonos is following in the footsteps of Apple and Microsoft, forcing upgrades within the existing customer base. I would expect better from a business owned by Google.

The solution is easy - allow S2 to work with seamlessly with legacy products. This can be done with software. Any pushback on this point is complete BS.

Can we loyal and earlier adopters convince management to change their business decision or do we need to sell all our Sonos gear and switch to a competitor?  

11 replies

Yawn

I know I’m preaching to the choir here but I just wanted to express my extreme disappointment in the choice that the Sonos (Google) management team made not to include legacy devices in the rollout of S2.

This has to be the daftest comment I have read on here in a long time.  If you include legacy devices in S2 then there is no S2 to roll out.  Or there can only be an S2 that is identical to S1.  Jeez. 

Sonos is not owned by Google.  Sonos is actually in the middle of a lawsuit against Google.

ISonos is following in the footsteps of Apple and Microsoft, forcing upgrades within the existing customer base. I would expect better from a business owned by Google.

And this is the second daftest comment I have read on here in a long time.  

I didn’t have my facts straight which clearly deflates my vent. PE owned. Makes more sense now. 

John B - insults aside, can you explain why some level of compatibility with legacy devices is not possible? I’m not saying they should have all the same features (e.g. Dolby) because they don’t have the same hardware but why not let them zone together for music? Why make us use two apps?  

Finally, a post to rival the "Sonos is WiFi and Alexa is Bluetooth!" poster for number of completely baseless assertions.  Well done, OP.

I didn’t have my facts straight which clearly deflates my vent. PE owned. Makes more sense now. 

John B - insults aside, can you explain why some level of compatibility with legacy devices is not possible? I’m not saying they should have all the same features (e.g. Dolby) because they don’t have the same hardware but why not let them zone together for music? Why make us use two apps?  

I refer you to the 167 pages or debate here

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/end-of-software-support-clarifications-6835969/index70.html

Grouping speakers together means that the devices involved need to have a certain level of firmware and hardware capabilities in order to send audio between devices at a certain quality.  Higher resolution audio means more data sent around, for example, at rates that the old hardware can’t do.  Just one possibility here, as we don’t know what features Sonos has planned.  The important thing is that not every feature or capability can be walled to just the devices with the hardware that can handle it, but is a factor of what the system as a whole can handle.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I know I’m preaching to the choir here but I just wanted to express my extreme disappointment in the choice that the Sonos (Google) management team made not to include legacy devices in the rollout of S2. I do not accept that it’s a technology issue. It was a business decision -full stop.

Sonos is following in the footsteps of Apple and Microsoft, forcing upgrades within the existing customer base. I would expect better from a business owned by Google.

The solution is easy - allow S2 to work with seamlessly with legacy products. This can be done with software. Any pushback on this point is complete BS.

Can we loyal and earlier adopters convince management to change their business decision or do we need to sell all our Sonos gear and switch to a competitor?  

Your speakers still work, don’t they? And they/the controller app will continue to receive bug fixes for some time to come. Why do you need to sell all your Sonos gear?

All these arguments are in the main thread 20 times over. Let's not waste any more of our lives on this.

All these arguments are in the main thread 20 times over. Let's not waste any more of our lives on this.

eh.  I found the conversation mildly entertaining.