Reverse Recycle option

• 27 January 2020
  • 5 replies

Sonos,

I feel the rollout of the End of Support for legacy systems was not well executed. I currently own 2 play 5 Gen 1 speakers that I was very happy with. I chose the recycle option to upgrade to the new generation of Play 5 speaker. While I did see the disclaimer to inform me that the speakers would no longer receive software updates, I did not understand at the time, that the speaker would then be unusable in any capacity. At minimum, I thought I could use the Aux input to drive the speakers with an analog signal from an iPhone or iPad.

Given these facts and the changing policy about end of support, I feel the users should be given the option to reverse the recycle option. I currently have more than 2 weeks left on my termination date. I would hope that Sonos could create a software update that could reverse the “bricking” of my 2 play 5 speakers. This would go a long way to at least minimize the damage that has already been done to the reputation of Sonos. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I did not understand at the time, that the speaker would then be unusable in any capacity. At minimum, I thought I could use the Aux input to drive the speakers with an analog signal from an iPhone or iPad.

I’m surprised to hear people make this claim.  To me ‘no longer function’ clearly includes aux input.  I would have looked for something clearing states the aux input would function somehow.  As well, the process includes the recycling step.  How would the aux input work after you’ve turned the device over to a recycling facility?

While I admit my assumption was incorrect about the aux input, I feel that Sonos should be able to reverse the recycle option on a case by case basis as they know the MAC address of both my speakers. I understand the point of making the speakers inoperable for any future resale. However, they should make allowances for people who make the unfortunate mistake of choosing the recycle option and forcing them to buy a new product to replace a perfectly good working system. 

While I admit my assumption was incorrect about the aux input, I feel that Sonos should be able to reverse the recycle option on a case by case basis as they know the MAC address of both my speakers. I understand the point of making the speakers inoperable for any future resale. However, they should make allowances for people who make the unfortunate mistake of choosing the recycle option and forcing them to buy a new product to replace a perfectly good working system. 

Probably best to take the issue up with Sonos directly about this.  If they are capable and willing to reverse the trade in your case, they would need direct communication anyway.

Hi JGB1964

I’m with you. Call us stupid but I have 2 play 5 gen ones and o traded up the first. All sorts of issues trying to do that so I added the 2nd BUT did not select or want to recycle. 

After doing that both trade ups worked (ie I got 2 credits) but also both play 5s were rendered useless. 
I sent the one I intended on recycling. However the messaging as I read it suggested aux in would still be an option and we were encouraged to keep using to pass onto a friend. 

@JGB1964 did you get anywhere with Sonos on this ?

wow. I kept the play five, took the great credit, and continue to use it using Sonos 1 app while the new speaker is grouped on my Sonos 2 app. Win..Win for me