Research participation request - Feedback on the community

• 11 October 2017
  • 37 replies

Badge
A very good day to all of you!

My name is Seline van Dijk and I'm an intern at Insided, the company behind this here community platform.
My assignment is to research and design better user engagement, which basically entails giving advice on and design functions or design changes that will get the users more engaged!

But one can't design for users without getting the opinion of users, don't you think?
Which is why I'm here!

I would like to request your participation in a survey I made, found at the link below:
https://goo.gl/forms/XKvx0SE7ETb4xDoy1

It will take you a maximum of 10 minutes to fill out if you really take your time to think, but if you're a fast thinker it won't take you much more than 3 minutes.

Your answers will contribute to the research and design decisions, and if your ideas are particularly good you may see them return on Insided communities sometime in the future!

Many thanks to any of you who have read this far, and even more thanks if you decide to fill out the survey!

Sincerely,
Seline van Dijk

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Up at the very top of the page, just left of where it shows your username and avatar, is a drop-down that says Community... in there are a number of options like Recently active topics, active since last visit, and others, as well as direct links to the top-level forums. It's at the top of every page.

Thanks, Mike. Never used to be. I quit looking after the first year.
Badge
I'm reading what you are saying and I will take all feedback into account.
I'm certainly going to use the feedback you all gave on the survey, and I will ask what can be done about the search function and active/unread topics, though it will most likely end up somewhere on the backlog. I'll also coin the no visible contact thing when the spam was a major problem.

I saw that you posted some community companies, mind telling me what you like more about the communities they make? Aside from the fact that they work better, maybe you like something in the interface or think it's just that much easier to navigate?

Insided has been making a lot of communities like this https://community.consumentenbond.nl/
Do you like the layout better? I know the search works the same here, but do you think this is easier to navigate?

Anything you have complaints about I'll be documenting and using, so if there's anything else besides the search, unread topics/posts not showing up well, lack of engagement and latest topics not being easy to find, please tell me.
You ask for feedback, got some on basic stuff we've been asking for for years, and you put it on the back burner? That, sir, is the main problem with your company. Zero customer concern.
Badge
I'm sorry but as an intern I have very little influence on what is prioritized, I can coin things and highlight things but that doesn't guarantee at all that something is done with it. I have understood from all prior comments that customer concern and interaction is a serious problem and I will most certainly propose ways for the company to interact directly with the end users.
You ask for feedback, got some on basic stuff we've been asking for for years, and you put it on the back burner? That, sir, is the main problem with your company. Zero customer concern.
To be fair, though, we aren't the customer in this case - Sonos are.
Aside from the fact that they work better, maybe you like something in the interface or think it's just that much easier to navigate?

Insided has been making a lot of communities like this https://community.consumentenbond.nl/
Do you like the layout better? I know the search works the same here, but do you think this is easier to navigate?

The Insided sites appear to have a common problem, they're based on form over function, presumably to woo the younger crowd - yoof is more impressed by how things look.

Personally, I regard dpreview as one of the more functional sites - found here https://www.dpreview.com
You can choose dark or light themes, the flow is very good, they make good use of screen space so that I don't have to keep scrolling, keyboard equivalents to quickly navigate the site, etc, etc. Whatever you think of the content, the site serves the user well. Your site is none of these.
I agree, but according to the Sonos boys that hang here, all these requests have been presented to Insided since they switched to it. If true, my point stands.
I assume we are seen to be the end customers because the question/survey is said for us to participate in.

As to better sites, even the Sonos Forum that was junked when this one was launched was better than this one.
I assume we are seen to be the end customers because the question/survey is said for us to participate in.

As to better sites, even the Sonos Forum that was junked when this one was launched was better than this one.

And the one run by the community was the best by far - and well moderated...
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And the one run by the community was the best by far - and well moderated...

I totally agree. This forum just serves as first line support for sonos and its a mess with people posting similar questions over and over because the search function is useless. In addition there is so little moderation in terms of merging and/or moving topics that it just confounds the mess. The old forum was well organised, easy to search and navigate, concise, informative, friendly, respectful, easy on the eye and all round a nice place to visit. This one is the total opposite.
I would be handy if our "Newest First", "Active since last visit", etc could be set in our profile.

The site is slow at my location.

I would like an easily visible time stamp for posts. "5 days ago", or "x months ago" is not very illuminating.

I also like the Ubiquiti community.

And I don't enjoy search. We should be able to use some logic, such as 'and' and 'or', and quote strings
Badge
Thank you for the tips buzz!

As of now I will be closing the survey, thank you to everyone who took the time to fill it out.