Research participation request - Feedback on the community

• 11 October 2017
  • 37 replies

Badge
A very good day to all of you!

My name is Seline van Dijk and I'm an intern at Insided, the company behind this here community platform.
My assignment is to research and design better user engagement, which basically entails giving advice on and design functions or design changes that will get the users more engaged!

But one can't design for users without getting the opinion of users, don't you think?
Which is why I'm here!

I would like to request your participation in a survey I made, found at the link below:
https://goo.gl/forms/XKvx0SE7ETb4xDoy1

It will take you a maximum of 10 minutes to fill out if you really take your time to think, but if you're a fast thinker it won't take you much more than 3 minutes.

Your answers will contribute to the research and design decisions, and if your ideas are particularly good you may see them return on Insided communities sometime in the future!

Many thanks to any of you who have read this far, and even more thanks if you decide to fill out the survey!

Sincerely,
Seline van Dijk

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

If you/Insided are serious about this, ask Sonos Staff to point you to the threads here that convey the frustration in the community with Sonos+Insided. Regular users have said enough here opining that, in short, Insided sucks. And that Sonos blundered in choosing it as a partner.

That we have now giving up on the complaining does not mean that things have changed for the better; the only improvement noticed is on better spam management - by Sonos Staff I suspect.

I would have linked these threads here for you, but the search function sucks as well, so I can't do that quickly.
Just enter the following search in Google to get around the pathetic Insided search and find the threads on Insided. You may need a stiff drink first.

site:en.community.sonos.com insided
First, during, and after.
LOL.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Only thing I like about the Sonos forums is that they aren't running IPBoard.
You mean there are worse platforms around than Insided?!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
https://en.community.sonos.com/new-community-feedback-229090/community-platform-updates-6731275
And a lot more here: https://en.community.sonos.com/new-community-feedback-229090/a-huge-step-backward-what-are-you-guys-thinking-6730677
Badge
I'm very sorry to hear about your frustrations and I will certainly be looking at past complaints and I will take them into account.
However, I have very little influence, if any, on the backlog of Insided, best I can do is highlight the problems.
I can perhaps look at a few of them and propose redesigns/function fixes that may help with them but even then there's no guarantee that my redesigns or fixes are implemented, let alone in a timely manner.

Thank you to anyone who filled out the survey, the answers are really helping me to identify the direction and problem points of the project.
Not too worry, we don't expect an intern to do what Insided isn't capable of doing, as is seen by the responses here till now. This is perhaps just a tick the boxes kind of exercise you have been saddled with, so good luck with doing that as well as you can and getting out of the assignment.
The search would suck if it gave you no results for terms that you know exist. This search actually returns stuff that has NOTHING TO DO with your search terms, while simultaneously ignoring posts with the search terms in it. It's as if the word "search" had a different meaning, like "find stuff no one asked for." In short, I beg for it to rise to the level of suck, instead it SUCKITY SUCK SUCK SUCKS!

Glad I got that off my chest.
Is that a technical term?
I think I just entered a parallel universe. The Insided search was so bad I abandoned it long ago in favour of Google. But I just tried a few searches for evidence of how bad it was. Shock horror - it didn't perform too badly. Maybe I got lucky. Anyone else want to try? Could they have improved it?
Dear God, it is almost useful. Still no search by username, date, title, section, or results displayed as posts, but it actally gave me a correct result (well, one correct result).
I agree that I was judging it against exceptionally low expectations.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What bugs me is clicking active since last visit and seeing 20 pages of topics. As I work through them I come to already read topics on page after page.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm not going to support InSided in providing this feedback due to their complete lack of engagement during the spamming debacle.

They took weeks to engage with Sonos, or so it seems, and there was zero engagement on these boards. So I'm sorry, I'm not going to give my time to this.
I'm not going to support InSided...
I filled it in, but it's coming from the wrong angle... It should have been Sonos asking the question 'what can we replace Insided with?'
It seems like they're not really focused on a support forum as much. Asking questions about how to "engage" folks with gift cards and badges isn't really what my perception of this forum is. Those of you who are frequent contributors most likely ignore such things. You're here to assist people in enjoying the device that provides you so much pleasure. Adding "incentives" to participation would be most unlikely to move you in one direction or another.

If this were a "My Little Pony" community, it might be different, but this is a forum designed around support, more than ongoing communication between members.

If this were a "My Little Pony" community, it might be different

Lol. Nice one, laugh for the day done, thanks!
The search would suck if it gave you no results for terms that you know exist. This search actually returns stuff that has NOTHING TO DO with your search terms, while simultaneously ignoring posts with the search terms in it. It's as if the word "search" had a different meaning, like "find stuff no one asked for." In short, I beg for it to rise to the level of suck, instead it SUCKITY SUCK SUCK SUCKS!

Glad I got that off my chest.

Post of the day right there!
I agree....web-site says community...I have tried to post a question 6 different ways and nothing...is anybody there a sonos..??
So I guess your product isn’t selling well and now you’re trying to find out why? Besides the horrid search feature, there is no easy way to see the latest topics. I have to go to my bookmarks to get to https://en.community.sonos.com/search/activity/recent ... why can’t it be a link on every page like all other forums? I’ve taken your survey. Probably won’t like or act on the results.

PS: Bribing us with ‘gift cards and goodies’ aren’t going to raise participation or add users. Fix the forum. That will raise participation and add users. You’ve cost us several fantastic posters because of your slop.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Besides the horrid search feature, there is no easy way to see the latest topics. I have to go to my bookmarks to get to https://en.community.sonos.com/search/activity/recent ... why can’t it be a link on every page like all other forums?
Up at the very top of the page, just left of where it shows your username and avatar, is a drop-down that says Community... in there are a number of options like Recently active topics, active since last visit, and others, as well as direct links to the top-level forums. It's at the top of every page.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If a new forum vendor is a possibility the Lithium folks Ubiquity use would be high on my list.

Ubiquity forum: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/Forums

Lithium: https://www.lithium.com/products/online-communities