Request to Sonos to Offer Upgrade from Legacy Products at Cost

• 14 February 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge

It is clear that the Sonos “legacy” products pose issues for both sides (Sonos/Consumer) of this equation yet Sonos is solely responsible for these issues. Sonos developed it’s way into these issues, and business decisions were made for the sake of advancement knowing the legacy products would pose problems which is not the issue at all.  

Advancement is critical, we (Legacy Sonos Owners) all know and support it, that’s why we purchased Sonos products to begin with right?  Sonos was the best, bugs and all, hands down the best!

Mr. Spence and the Sonos executive team apparently forgot how they got to the top.

Legacy owners put Sonos on the map. The early adopters, champions, evangelists for the brand like myself drove revenue for the company without the company incurring marketing or advertising expense.  We lived through the bugs, shortcomings and many support issues not faced when using fully developed and properly supported technology.  We joined the Sonos Community and supported Sonos users with “FREE” support through the many issues they faced because we owned and used Sonos products so we could give real world advice and solutions that no Sonos tech could provide.

No, the real issue at play, is who should pay the penalty?  Your loyal customers?  I don’t think so.

I understand the change in course given the clear, obvious and I hope not surprising backlash but more words after words are still words.  They mean nothing as trust has already been broken. This issue is far more serious for Sonos than the consumer given the alternatives in the market.  This could be one that has a lasting detrimental impact on the future of Sonos - another reason why abandoning loyalists at this time is not recommended.  

From someone that owns over $8000 is Sonos products including several Gen1 5s.  I suggest a new plan to replace legacy components at an equitable price, not an arbitrary 30% discount.  If available, I would pay to replace legacy components at cost which is certainly far less than 30% off retail pricing.  

Currently it would cost me over $2400 to replace my componets at a 30% discount.  Add that to the original cost and I would be paying Sonos more than double the same equipment for issues out of my control.  

So after all these years of patience and support, you offer me a 30% discount?  It’s comical.  

I can’t speak for everyone but I’ll pose the question.  Would you (SONOS LEGACY OWNERS) purchase upgrades at cost?  I’m sure I’m not the only one that move on the offer.

Just an idea.

Puzzled Sonos Owner

Chris

7 replies

I find it puzzling that someone with a mere 6 posts is claiming they:

“joined the Sonos Community and supported Sonos users with “FREE” support through the many issues they faced because we owned and used Sonos products so we could give real world advice and solutions that no Sonos tech could provide.”

“joined the Sonos Community and supported Sonos users with “FREE” support through the many issues they faced because we owned and used Sonos products so we could give real world advice and solutions that no Sonos tech could provide.”

I assumed he was talking about some other Sonos community.

Also, the 30% discount is not specifically to replace a product you are trading in, but on any product on the site.  You don’t have to get a play:5 Gen 2 when you trade in a gen 1 for example.  You could actually use the discount on speaker set and get an actual dollar savings around what you originally paid for a legacy product.

What exactly is ‘cost’?  Just the cost of the components and the labour to assemble them?  Can we include office and factory overheads?  Transport? R&D? Financing costs?  Website?  Ongoing support?  Marketing spend?

Sonos made a loss last year, I believe.  So on that basis, cost per unit exceeds the average revenue from a unit.  So be careful what you wish for……

For all that, i think 30% was at the bottom end of what could reasonably have been offered in the circumstances.  But anyone thinking Sonos are sitting on fat margins they can give away doesn’t understand business finance.

Badge

I meant the whole Sonos community, thanks for pointing that out, I’ll try to be more clear in the future.  It’s all good - I love Sonos - this was just PR done wrong.  Regardless of what you may think, it’s impacted the brand or there would be no backlash, no apology, etc. but what do I know with my mere 6 posts?

Badge

I assumed he was talking about some other Sonos community.

Also, the 30% discount is not specifically to replace a product you are trading in, but on any product on the site.  You don’t have to get a play:5 Gen 2 when you trade in a gen 1 for example.  You could actually use the discount on speaker set and get an actual dollar savings around what you originally paid for a legacy product.

Hmm - having some difficulty with this logic.  So “upgrade” to 6 play:1s from the 6 play:5s?  That’s a good deal? 

Badge

What exactly is ‘cost’?  Just the cost of the components and the labour to assemble them?  Can we include office and factory overheads?  Transport? R&D? Financing costs?  Website?  Ongoing support?  Marketing spend?

Sonos made a loss last year, I believe.  So on that basis, cost per unit exceeds the average revenue from a unit.  So be careful what you wish for……

For all that, i think 30% was at the bottom end of what could reasonably have been offered in the circumstances.  But anyone thinking Sonos are sitting on fat margins they can give away doesn’t understand business finance.

Cost explained - The cost of goods sold (COGS) refers to the direct costs of producing the goods sold by a company. This amount includes the cost of the materials and labor directly used to create the good. It excludes indirect expenses, such as distribution costs and sales force costs. 

It’s simple, materials and labor, but who knows maybe you’re right and 30% is at cost.  Margins are simply Selling Price - COGS.  So assuming a 30% Profit Margin (meaning a play:5 would cost Sonos $350 per unit to produce) it would be difficult to run the company effectively.  

Hmm - having some difficulty with this logic.  So “upgrade” to 6 play:1s from the 6 play:5s?  That’s a good deal? 

I think the point is you are not forced to upgrade from one product to its direct replacement.  You can upgrade from a single Connect to a complete Beam/One SL/Sub home theater system.  Total savings $436, a full $86 over the cost of the Connect when new.