Request for full DTS support for ARC

• 1 December 2020
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1

Please add full DTS support! None of my Blu-ray movies sound good because of your lack of support. Most of the movies I have only support DTS. Anyone else interested? Please like this post

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Though DTS-support would be nice, I can see more pressing concerns - how about SMBv2 support and the end of the 64k limit…....

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Specs showed Sonos didn’t support DTS when I was considering my first Sonos purchase. I bought, knowing it was not likely to be a retro-fittable upgrade. I’m still quite content with my non-DTS system. So, to answer your question, “No, I’m not interested”. Sorry if that’s not what you wanted to hear. 

I don’t personally have any need for DTS support.  Most content I view is streamed.  The rare times I use disks, it’s through an xbox that transcodes any DTS to Dolby for me, or the disc is already in dolby.   That said, I want Sonos to me remain relevant and support features that are in high demand, and I’m pretty sure they look at marketing data that tells them how people are consuming content. From what I can tell, DTS contenting is used less and less frequently, rather than more frequently.

Userlevel 1

Given the high cost of sonos gear, I’m surprised its not supported. I could understand in the past workarounds being able to transcode to Dolby Digital. Not ideal, but it works. 

Only problem is, this isn’t the case anymore with DTS:X. You simply cannot transcode to another format other than stereo.

If there is a time to take up DTS codecs, I’d say its now, given there are no more work arounds anymore.

I’m watching keenly as its the only thing stopping me from buying the new ARC.

This article suggests while it is free of additional license costs, it does lag substantially behind Atmos in market penetration. The article is also a year and a half old.

I have to wonder if their market penetration has substantially increased, and what kind of power is required to decode and use the codec, i.e. are the processors in the Sonos Arc capable? And of course, how much engineering effort is involved, with comparison to the size of the market looking for it?

Hmm i… I think it's not supported because the DTS is a proprietary sound format and that may be the reason why the DTS it’s not supported? And yes - it would be nice to have it :) 

Userlevel 3
Badge

It would be a definite plus to have it !

so many physical media owners have their audio in dts , and Sonos you should be listening ! 

Userlevel 7

Now that Sonos Arc supports multi-channel LPCM audio, you can set your Blu-ray player to convert DTS to PCM and get multi-channel LPCM audio to play from DTS-encoded discs through the Arc which sounds just as good.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Not all BluRay players have that option sadly.

come on Sonos, you amongst the costliest sound bar  ( arc ) + sub + 2 one SL set up out there.

otherwise JBL 9.1 does all DTS and Dolby formats in LESS THAN HALF THE PRICE ! 

Why are you mugging us off ?

Userlevel 7

come on Sonos, you amongst the costliest sound bar  ( arc ) + sub + 2 one SL set up out there.

Most Blu-ray players have this option, so the lack of DTS support is no longer a problem for the majority of Sonos Arc owners. Because of this, don’t expect Sonos to support DTS audio anytime soon.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Most Blu-ray players have this option, so the lack of DTS support is no longer a problem for the majority of Sonos Arc owners. Because of this, don’t expect Sonos to support DTS audio anytime soon.

Mine does not and I know quite a few which dont. Even if most blu ray players do have this option, do you expect everyone to keep switching between PCM and passthrough every time ? DTS is here to stay for good. Also very crutially, if anyone is using LPCM for Atmos/DTS:X you are never getting the entire experience of front and upwards hitting speakers.

Its a shame that most people including myself tend to take for granted that such a premier brand like Sonos would support all major formats by default, only to be dissappointed when they insert their first blue ray dts movie, and there is no audio.

Userlevel 7

Mine does not and I know quite a few which dont. Even if most blu ray players do have this option, do you expect everyone to keep switching between PCM and passthrough every time ? DTS is here to stay for good. Also very crutially, if anyone is using LPCM for Atmos/DTS:X you are never getting the entire experience of front and upwards hitting speakers.

Its a shame that most people including myself tend to take for granted that such a premier brand like Sonos would support all major formats by default, only to be dissappointed when they insert their first blue ray dts movie, and there is no audio.

What model Blu-ray player do you have?

Userlevel 7

I have an old Sony Blu-ray player from 2007 and a Panasonic 4K UHD player. They both allow me to set separate audio settings for Dolby audio and for DTS audio. Dolby is set to bitstream and DTS is set to PCM. I get Dolby TrueHD/Atmos from all of my Dolby-encoded discs and multi-channel LPCM from all of my DTS-encoded discs playing through the Arc without having to switch anything.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have an old Sony Blu-ray player from 2007 and a Panasonic 4K UHD player. They both allow me to set separate audio settings for Dolby audio and for DTS audio. Dolby is set to bitstream and DTS is set to PCM. I get Dolby TrueHD/Atmos from all of my Dolby-encoded discs and multi-channel LPCM from all of my DTS-encoded discs playing through the Arc without having to switch anything.

How exactly are you doing this?  I have a Panasonic 4K UHD player the ub820 and no matter what settings I use in that digital audio output section of the settings it always pays back Stereo 2.0.  And yes my Sonos Arc is updated with the latest firmware that included the multichannel LPCM update.  

Userlevel 7

@darkonex I can do it because of the Arcana. See my response to you in the other thread.