Answered

Request for controller functional enhancement

• 26 October 2018
  • 3 replies

Recently, I bought two SONOS PLAY:1 speakers. The speakers are really great. The sound quality is superb. The app to drive them is also good, but not great.

There is something in the app very disappointing that needs a substantial functional enhancement. Specifically, after the initial setup (very easy to do), there is no way to see the name of the network to which the controller is connected. Worse yet, if a user has multiple Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz networks - like in my case (I have three), or moves the speakers to another house - switching the controller between networks is very cumbersome. Proposed change/enhancement: add the functionality whereby a new screen shows all Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz visible networks, with a check mark on the one the controller is connected to – or no check mark at all, if not connected - and, to switch network, or select one if not connected at all, like in the very first initial setup, the ability to click on the checkbox and select one of the other networks.
icon

Best answer by Stuart_W 28 October 2018, 14:53

I'm afraid the suggestion doesn't make any sense.

Sonos can only connect to one Wi-Fi network at a time and this must be done MANUALLY so you obviously know which one you connected it to so why waste resources to show you what you already know?

Now, there IS an argument and have been requests for Sonos to be able to have multiple networks remembered for people who move between properties so it will automatically connect to another network that has previously been configured. I assume there are some unforeseen challenges to doing this though.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Curious as to how this would work, given the way that the controller connects to the Sonos system on the same SSID. What I'm thinking is if I have a phone that's connected to wifi SSID X, and I pull up my Sonos system, and change it's connection to SSID Y, then I'd immediately lose connection to the Sonos system, I think, until I switched my phone over to connect to the SSID Y.

Or am I misunderstanding how you envision this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm afraid the suggestion doesn't make any sense.

Sonos can only connect to one Wi-Fi network at a time and this must be done MANUALLY so you obviously know which one you connected it to so why waste resources to show you what you already know?

Now, there IS an argument and have been requests for Sonos to be able to have multiple networks remembered for people who move between properties so it will automatically connect to another network that has previously been configured. I assume there are some unforeseen challenges to doing this though.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I can possibly see where the OP is coming from I have multiple access points(3) with different SSIDs but the Sonos speakers use Sonos Net. My android phone hangs onto its 'current' SSID even when there is really no usable signal so sometimes I have to change the network manually to make it useable. Even if there was a feature in the App to change the network though I cannot see that I would use it, All I need to do is swipe down which , amongst other options, allows me to change the network. This is quick and easy to do and leaves my Sonos App on the now playing screen.