Read before purchasing Sonos specially Synology Owners

• 22 June 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi,

It Was my fault to do not check  before to buy, the more I test the product ( SYMFONISK  Ikea-Sonos) the more I am disapointed with the product. I plan to use the device as Home assistant message system first, and second task as music airplay device, second task is very disappointing outside of the “SONOS world”, some way it remembers me apple practices.

• Poor to Standard sound quality. ( its price is right.)
  • Unsafe SMBv1 protocol ( if you plan to use Sonos with  your home music store Nas Synology or any device with “modern version” of SMB protocol , forget Sonos device, not recommended at all )
  • Static IP not allowed for sonos SYMFONISK, only configurable in your router side (mac-address IP reservation) not like this one.
  • AirPlay protocol  is restricted (or bug) to media players as synology DS Audio etc. doesn´t work, you are not free to use your personal media player in your smartphone and send your music to Sonos device throught AirPlay wireless service. It seem sonos is focused in propietary streaming platforms as Amazon, Apple etc, I guess they want you to use its sonos App as unique media player for local music. Radio stations are fine if you uses its android App or Home assistant world.

And please, do not reply with paraphrase  of Mr. S. L. Clemens, I already know it….

Regards

Edit: this is not a question topic,sorry  for the misunderstanding, I do not know how to change to conversation topic...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Hi,

It Was my fault to do not check  before to buy, the more I test the product ( SYMFONISK  Ikea-Sonos) the more I am disapointed with the product. I plan to use the device as Home assistant message system first, and second task as music airplay device, second task is very disappointing outside of the “SONOS world”, some way it remembers me apple practices.

• Poor to Standard sound quality. ( its price is right.)

The ikea bookshelf speakers?  I agree that they are not that great overall, and not a great example of Sonos speakers in general.  If you’re refering to the lamps, I felt they were much closer to the quality of a Sonos One, but hard to tell from a show room setup.

•  
  • AirPlay protocol  is restricted (or bug) to media players as synology DS Audio etc. doesn´t work, you are not free to use your personal media player in your smartphone and send your music to Sonos device throught AirPlay wireless service. It seem sonos is focused in propietary streaming platforms as Amazon, Apple etc, I guess they want you to use its sonos App as unique media player for local music. Radio stations are fine if you uses its android App or Home assistant world.

Sonos doesn’t have any control over what audio sources Apple allows with airplay.  Perhaps I’m not understanding what your issue is here.  Are you suggesting that you can airplay your audio source to other speakers that you can’t with Sonos?

The ikea bookshelf speakers?  I agree that they are not that great overall, and not a great example of Sonos speakers in general.  If you’re refering to the lamps, I felt they were much closer to the quality of a Sonos One, but hard to tell from a show room setup.

• …..

Sonos doesn’t have any control over what audio sources Apple allows with airplay.  Perhaps I’m not understanding what your issue is here.  Are you suggesting that you can airplay your audio source to other speakers that you can’t with Sonos?

I undestand than people is being conducted to stream services, however, we cannot  leave aside people with local-independent media storage or private media clouds. 

Protocols are protocols, incompleted, restricted or faulty AirPlay deployment in a product (software+hardware) could be the cause of the issues The fact is my Synology Music player  does not works fine with that Sonos hardware + Airplay.

Anyway,  this feedback is intended to share my experience, specially Nas owners ones,

Regards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Have you tried playing the music from your NAS on your phone and then Airplaying it to the speakers?

I may be missing something here, but I thought Airplay could only be used when playing from an Apple device. Why would you expect it to play from a Synology NAS?

Incidentally, I can play from my Synology Audio Station to my Sonos system, but this has nothing to do with Airplay. However, I don't use that to play from my NAS either, I use the Sonos Music Library.