Provide more control over Bluetooth

Hi,

I know a wifi connection is the preferred connection to configure your Sonos products, but I reckon we should have the ability to configure some, if not all of the settings for our Bluetooth-enabled Sonos products. 

I own a Sonos Roam and I do not have a constant internet connection due to an incompatible wifi network and every time I wish to configure my Sonos Roam, I have to look for a compatible wifi network. I know the Sonos Roam is still a wifi-first, bluetooth-second product but I don’t think the ability to adjust basic settings such as Alarms, EQ, etc. would be too much to ask for.

Kind regards,

CleffyHeft

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

How is your wifi network incompatible with Sonos? Could this be helped by making your own network with a travel router?

How is your wifi network incompatible with Sonos? Could this be helped by making your own network with a travel router?

I’m living at university accommodation with Eduroam which uses a WPA2 Enterprise Configuration, so unfortunately I don’t think that will work. The closest to a workaround is setting up a mobile hotspot on my Windows computer but I’m not willing to leave my computer on 24/7 just to have my Sonos connected to the wifi network. Furthermore, it’s still quite a hassle to turn on my Windows computer just to configure my Sonos.

@CleffyHeft .  I think you have missed something fundamental here.  In Bluetooth mode the Move and Roam are just dumb Bluetooth speakers.  The Sonos app and Sonos system are not involved (the app being just a remote control for the system).  You want to adjust the EQ settings?  Then do it on the device you are playing from - that’s where it is being controlled from in Bluetooth mode.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you really want to work via WiFi, creating your own network with a travel router would accomplish the same as using the hotspot on your PC, without it having to begon all the time.

There might be rules regarding setting up your own network though…

If you really want to work via WiFi, creating your own network with a travel router would accomplish the same as using the hotspot on your PC, without it having to begon all the time.

There might be rules regarding setting up your own network though…

I’ve actually been wanting to do this for a very long time. However, I do not have an Ethernet port in my room so I’m not sure if it will work. Can you brief me through the process and requirements?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As I understand it (I do not use this myself) a travel router works from the (in your case) Eduroam wifi. Here's more: Small, simple router for traveling with Sonos? : sonos (reddit.com)