Answered

Preventing new posts to old - dead topics?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Is there any setting in this forum software that would lock dead topics after some period of time? It is frustrating to see new questions posted to years old topics because that is what the forum search turned up.

A related request, could you change the default search result sorting from Relevance to Recently active? For the same reason.

And a final thought, could topics specific to a software release be locked once the version is obsolete? It is sad to see posters directed to a Controller v 7.2 topic or the like by the forum search when it is so long gone.
icon

Best answer by Edward R 8 May 2018, 16:26

Hi there, Stanley_4. These are all genuinely great suggestions. Users bumping extremely old threads is certainly partly down to the way results are presented, having performed a search. We are looking to implement a workflow process by which we can lock old threads for further comments. We will suss out the finer details of this but, for myself, it is definitely something I would like to see addressed sooner rather than later. I'm going to speak to the team and find out what can be done. These points you have raised, again, are extremely valuable. Thank you!

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi there, Stanley_4. These are all genuinely great suggestions. Users bumping extremely old threads is certainly partly down to the way results are presented, having performed a search. We are looking to implement a workflow process by which we can lock old threads for further comments. We will suss out the finer details of this but, for myself, it is definitely something I would like to see addressed sooner rather than later. I'm going to speak to the team and find out what can be done. These points you have raised, again, are extremely valuable. Thank you!
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I've raised the same question/comment but only through private email to Sonos staff. Thanks for bringing it out into the light..Stanley 4.

I've come across two threads this year (thus far) that were 10 and 11 years old and this is one of the best run communities that I participate in. However it would be nice to see an algorithm developed that could quickly look at certain words in the title of a new post that would populate several suggestions for the OP to consider and possibly resolve their issue. I have on many occasions copied a link to a post or Support Answer as the resolution to an Op's question. Granted it would require that the OP be forced to type the title first; before penning the body of the post. Just a suggestion :8

Cheers!
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Here's a prime example of an outdated post that shows as a Favorite Topic:?

https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/sonos-not-found-not-connected-39799

Cheers!
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Who judges what is ‘too old’? What if someone posted an obscure topic that nobody actually answered at the time and someone provides genuine feedback to the topic. Lots of older theeads come up in the community via the search and google. Some are repeat of same old same old. Others are quitenuseful, especially forums newcomers. I’d rather have have the option to choose. If old or no longer relevant, then just skip over it. Hardly a lofe or death issue I would imagine. :cool:
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Sonosjunkie, for that type of post it would be easy enough to include a link back to the older original topic if you wanted to continue discussing the issues there.

I don't think anyone has suggested removing topics, just preventing new posts to older ones. I mentioned a couple specific dates for closing some topics above, for other topics 90 or 180 days seems to work well in several other forums, shortest I've seen is 14 days and that is a bit soon.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Funilly I received an random notification of an update by Edward to this thread just now. So this is something else to add to the ‘to do list’ stop sending false notifications for old threads. This ij turn might help reduce the instance of skeletons jumping back up to life..... and three months on is this issue of posting to old threads still an issue? :D
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Sonosjunkie: As moderators, we are constantly reading, moderating and curating content posted here. This includes marking the best answer on a topic and moving it to the appropriate forum. As you can imagine there are loads of topics in the incorrect forums. You may get notifications about this topic (or others) should you have made this a favourite. Check your settings here:

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Not fussed about getting the notification or not. No bug deal. It was the irony that made me smile, considering the thread topic. Thanks for the explanation. Good to know it is about retrospective admin rather than a glitch. Thanks for all your efforts on the forum. Much appreciated ny the comunity I’m sure.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings