Please support chromecast

• 10 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2

Sonos speakers have been one of the best smart speakers in the market. But it is very frustrating to see most of the speakers from competitors support chromecast (even many very entry level ones) while Sonos does not.

I understand there was a lawsuit going on with Google before but it seems to be resolved recently. I hope the engineering team can be allowed to add chromecast support quickly to bridge the gap. I don’t think it is much of a technical issue as you have all the hardware and the software support can’t be that difficult as you look at what competitors doing. You got to understand iOS only takes up a smaller portion of the smart phone market. Without chromecast you can basically pushing Android only users out of the door. I would love to switch to android camp but the Sonos situation has been my main deterrent. Please take a look at how many similar requests are there in the forum and consider seriously to add the feature quickly. Thanks!

Your loyal Sonos fan

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Whatever the merits of the argument, it is wildly inaccurate to say that Android users are being excluded. I am an Android user with no use case that requires Chromecast. I accept that some other users do have potential uses for it, but for many it's no big deal.

Userlevel 2

Whatever the merits of the argument, it is wildly inaccurate to say that Android users are being excluded. I am an Android user with no use case that requires Chromecast. I accept that some other users do have potential uses for it, but for many it's no big deal.

You are right. I should not say that it excludes Android user. But having chromecast support adds so much convenience to Android users depending on your streaming options. For example, you just can’t stream sound from youtube video or your own videos to Sonos speakers. It is a pretty basic function that many speakers support. For iphone users it is so easy to use with Airplay. I agree there are people don’t use the functionality but that doesn’t mean it is not a basic function nowadays that Sonos does not support.

The dispute between Sonos and Google is far from over. What happened recently was just one battle, one that implies Sonos is likely to win from here on out, but it will be ongoing for probably a least another year.  However, I don’t think that’s really what’s keeping Sonos from using chromecast.

I agree with John.  I’m an android user who has never really missed chromecast on Sonos.  The few times I’ve used chromecast, I’m casting the phone to a TV (or attached device) and play the audio on the Sonos speaker connected to the TV. There is also the option of using bluetooth and a Roam, if it really came down to it.  Being able to stream directly from a service or from input from a TV is 99% of my audio needs.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Sonos speakers have been one of the best smart speakers in the market. But it is very frustrating to see most of the speakers from competitors support chromecast (even many very entry level ones) while Sonos does not.

I understand there was a lawsuit going on with Google before but it seems to be resolved recently. I hope the engineering team can be allowed to add chromecast support quickly to bridge the gap. I don’t think it is much of a technical issue as you have all the hardware and the software support can’t be that difficult as you look at what competitors doing. You got to understand iOS only takes up a smaller portion of the smart phone market. Without chromecast you can basically pushing Android only users out of the door. I would love to switch to android camp but the Sonos situation has been my main deterrent. Please take a look at how many similar requests are there in the forum and consider seriously to add the feature quickly. Thanks!

Your loyal Sonos fan

Sonos used to have casting from Google Play Music built in but it’s gone. Given this and that Sonos supports other direct play/casting they probably would support chrome cast but for the (no longer alleged right?) patent infringement.  Can’t blame Sonos for that.