On My Iphone removed.

• 1 September 2019
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1
I have purchased eight Play Ones, two play Threes, a Playbar, two Sonos Beams, two bridges and a Sub at a cost of over 4000 pounds. To play my personal collection of music on these i purchased two ipads and my whole family has iphones so they can each play their own music costing over 2000 pounds. For some ridiculous reason Sonos suddenly remove On this device for IOS devices...........Are they having a laugh.
When i purchased these speakers i did so in the knowledge that i could play my own music from them without the need to pay for an additional streaming service just to listen to playlists that spotify or amazon create! These devices were advertised and sold on the strength of being able to play music from IOS devices. It even says on the box Made for iPod iPhone and iPad. I have clearly been mis-sold these items. How can this be ethical or even good business practice! If we have any lawyers in the community can we take out a class action for all the customers that have been mis-sold sonos products? Would we all be eligible to return these products for a refund? I have spent the last eight years advising all my friends and family to buy Sonos........That ended when they removed this feature. You have just lost 18 customers today and that is just my family. Not happy and soon to be not a Sonos customer.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I can understanding you are disappointed. Legally
speaking, as I understand it, according to the EULA you agreed with you did not have a knowledge you could use Sonos as you did, but an expectation.

As there are alternatives out there (your Beams already support AirPlay 2).
This thread explains why this was done and the other options for playing local content.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/on-this-iphone-or-ipad-no-longer-available-6829000
From the scenario you describe I would guess the best option would be for each family member to get a free Google Play Music account and upload their music to that. All your iDevices can still be used to control the music.

Of course I cannot be sure what your best option would be and I am not attempting to advise. GPM is certainly worth considering.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for the info. Streaming would be great if i had a stable internet that did not go down all the time. Likewise using my beams with airplay would be fine if i did not use them on the family TV's meaning I cant listen to music on them while the TV's are being used. As i previosly said if i had been informed at time of purchase that I could not play from my iphone i would not have bought these speakers. Getting a Google play account to solve this is unfortunately not the solution, how long before google start charging for this? oh and as i said my internet is not stable. This does not change the fact that i bought my most recent play 1 only 8 weeks ago and it clearly states on the box Made for iPod iPhone and iPad it then says works with Android. Can Sonos Please explain how the play 1 is Made for iPod iPhone and iPad as stated on the box if I cant use it with those devices without buying another sonos device or seperate streaming service? It clearly is not made for these devices. This is a very blatant case of mis -selling to the public. Shocking customer service from Sonos regarding this change. Just a thought......maybe they could have emailed the registered users as a start and given them the choice of using the app with itunes and highlighted the possible pitfalls asking them to agree to a limited service. Even better fix the problem! Or offer an exchange service for play 1 to Sonos one giving people the airplay option. Anything would have been better than just casting loyal customers aside with no thought of the impact it could have on them. Incidentally mine always worked fine so hence my surprise that it was removed. I wonder how many people just have Play 1's that will now be selling them cheap on Ebay devaluing the product not to mention the bad publicity as word spreads. again just a thought.
You are worried about product devaluation, yet here you are on a public website devaluing the product? Strange.

As to actual pricing on eBay, a used Play:1 goes for $75-80, a new in the box is as low as $112. ~70% return for a used product is not bad, despite all the "devaluation" going on. I suggest you take advantage of these prices and sell your Sonos, because despite the gnashing of teeth, the "On this iDevice" feature is not coming back.
Userlevel 1
If you spend the time to read it properly I wrote "I wonder how many people just have Play 1's that will now be selling them cheap on Ebay devaluing the product". I'm not worried about my speakers being devalued but more the Sonos product itself. If there are to many second hand items being sold then sales will potentially drop hitting profits this may then force Sonos to drop the price or not. This impact on profits could in turn impact the money they have to spend on R & D and so on............as this is the Sonos community I'm just sharing my thoughts. If these threads help guide people to buy the correct Sonos product to suit their needs then that is a good thing isn't it?

I suspect your right with the "on this device" feature but Sonos would not be the first company to listen to their customers and make changes in retrospect.

Thanks for the info. Streaming would be great if i had a stable internet that did not go down all the time.

So why not buy a NAS and store your music there? Your family can then set up their own playlists with no dependence on an internet connection.

Thanks for the info. Streaming would be great if i had a stable internet that did not go down all the time.So why not buy a NAS and store your music there? Your family can then set up their own playlists with no dependence on an internet connection.

Or buy a <$20 thumb drive and stick it in the USB slot that most consumer routers have nowadays. Even cheaper than a NAS. The fact is, with little to no output in money and/or time, the "On this iPhone" functionality can be replicated by alternatives that give far more functionality and reliability for the user. Those who do not take advantage of these alternatives are only refusing because it would dilute their outrage; outrage they are hoping will force Sonos to reverse their decision.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
It even says on the box Made for iPod iPhone and iPad.

Yes and?

It doesn't specifically say "made to play the music stored on an iOS device"?
I have purchased eight Play Ones, two play Threes, a Playbar, two Sonos Beams, two bridges and a Sub at a cost of over 4000 pounds. To play my personal collection of music on these i purchased two ipads and my whole family has iphones so they can each play their own music costing over 2000 pounds. For some ridiculous reason Sonos suddenly remove On this device for IOS devices...........Are they having a laugh.
When i purchased these speakers i did so in the knowledge that i could play my own music from them without the need to pay for an additional streaming service just to listen to playlists that spotify or amazon create! These devices were advertised and sold on the strength of being able to play music from IOS devices. It even says on the box Made for iPod iPhone and iPad. I have clearly been mis-sold these items. How can this be ethical or even good business practice! If we have any lawyers in the community can we take out a class action for all the customers that have been mis-sold sonos products? Would we all be eligible to return these products for a refund? I have spent the last eight years advising all my friends and family to buy Sonos........That ended when they removed this feature. You have just lost 18 customers today and that is just my family. Not happy and soon to be not a Sonos customer.
Are there workarounds yes but they are a pain to use, the whole point of the system is ease of use with mobile devices. I also dont have reliable band width , if I wanted to set up a NAS server I would have started with that and not bothered with sonos.
more to the point I wont be investing in any more sonos equipment.

Well, I just found i can't play songs from my iPhone today.. i agree with everyone regarding losing this ability.  thats what made the Sonos so appealing in the first place, simplicity, ease of use and being able to play off my library on my phone.  Not to go have to set up a NAS, move the music to the computer, subscribe to a service.  It was great to play from your phone, simple and easy.  I have 2 play 1’s, a play bar and the sub in my great room.  Its setup there for ease of use for everyone, including guests to play their music.  I was about to buy 2 of the Play Ones or whatever they are called now but not a chance.  1,500 in speakers already invested and go spend another 400 and have them take away stuff again.  Not.  Did i mention how my playbar is useless now for use with my TV due to the 3rd world engineering job they did on the optical in port cover?  I’ve moved my playbar 3 times, the 2 cent optical in port cover broke and now the optical cable from the TV won't stay in place.  You can't just replace the piece its all part of the playbar.  So now i can't listen to surround sound for my TV which is another reason i bought Sonos.   Unless I buy a new play bar.  They so graciously offered to sell me a new one for 450 and pay for the shipping.  When I look at the optical in on my old 2003/2004 Denon AVR 3803 with optical in ports they have an outer sleeve in the port housing to hold the optical in cable firmly in place.  Sonos was a great idea in its time but they got fat heads and arrogant.  Now there are so many other choices and with better sound quality too.

Welcome to the forum and Happy Christmas.

Hey Solved the issue and sold the sonos equipment…..Merry Xmas!!

Hey Solved the issue and sold the sonos equipment…..Merry Xmas!!

Great. What did you get to replace it?