No more SONOS for me

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Won’t be buying anymore Sonos.. I curse them everyday for this last miserable upgrade forced on us. Sony Tv volume is at 20..sounds like a whisper. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Another question. Amp here is Sonos Amp driving the KEF placed flanking the TV? Sub is Sonos Sub? And this is a Sonos supported configuration with no lip sync issues?

If so, once the phantom centre channel is got to work properly via correct KEF placement, the only thing missing from a full blown 5.1 is centre speaker sound level control.

I would then any day choose this over any bar based solution for TV, while getting superior sound for just music. Atmos at home is mostly a gimmick.

And Sonos will never faff around with the sound profile for this, because there is really no call to. Sonos won’t touch the Sonos Amp to change its profile and nothing else then needs to be changed in this set up by Sonos because it is right from day 1.

You keep saying that Atmos at home is a gimmick.  Have you ever actually heard Atmos at home?  Because in the proper room, i.e. flat 8-10 ft. ceiling, proper distance from soundbar, it is outstanding.  Which leads me to think you've never actually heard it, and are speaking from an assumption.

Which leads me to think you've never actually heard it, and are speaking from an assumption.

It is of absolutely no interest to me, what you are led to think.

It is of absolutely no interest to me, what you are led to think.

So that would be a “Yes” on the fact you’ve never actually heard Atmos in the home and you are just making it up.  Thanks for the confirmation! 🤣

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

OK let’s keep this on topic, please!

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Have an amp, sub, symfonisk lamp surrounds, Kef R3 - watched Maverick and it sounded freaking phenomenal. Had night mode on still sounded great, think I need to check my ears 😀

Another question. Amp here is Sonos Amp driving the KEF placed flanking the TV? Sub is Sonos Sub? And this is a Sonos supported configuration with no lip sync issues?

If so, once the phantom centre channel is got to work properly via correct KEF placement, the only thing missing from a full blown 5.1 is centre speaker sound level control.

I would then any day choose this over any bar based solution for TV, while getting superior sound for just music. Atmos at home is mostly a gimmick.

And Sonos will never faff around with the sound profile for this, because there is really no call to. Sonos won’t touch the Sonos Amp to change its profile and nothing else then needs to be changed in this set up by Sonos because it is right from day 1.

The lamps work like regular lamps. Useful light and automated with smart bulbs. I’m usually watching with my family, probably part of the reason why they make little difference in terms of sound. 

I am using a Sonos amp with Sonos sub. No lip sync issues. Kef speakers are placed appropriately. 

I have owned a Playbar and briefly an Arc but greatly prefer this set up. I’m sure Atmos is amazing for a lot of content, hopefully everyone with nerfed Arcs gets their sound back in the coming months/years 😂😂

My tv was recently broken (my kids spiked a volleyball into it, don’t get me started). I moved an older TV that had optical out only to power the Kefs(used a tiny SMSL digital amp)  No one noticed that the sub and surrounds were not working. I’m not saying there is no difference, but that in day to day use when we are going about our life no one noticed. 

@Bumper 

Again, no surprises there; I have smaller KEFs in one music zone that do excellent tight bass, and the R3 units you have look very bass capable as well.

There is actually another useful purpose those lamps are rendering when watching movies late at night.

A completely dark room except for the TV screen causes eye strain from watching and those lights may help with that. Even if their surround effect is nominal in your case.

Ideally though the light should come from behind the screen as a backlight that leaves the screen dark; I do that in my cheapskate way by taping a LED strip around the rear frame of the TV and it does a very good job of making the colors on the TV pop out more by casting a backlight on the rear wall. I just make sure it is set to warm white and not the red/blue options that are also available as an option for the strip. The strip is powered from a USB socket at the rear of the TV. 

@Corry If you are asking me to stay on topic being the OP topic, I guess this is a transgression😊

But the OP may not mind…

In any case, this will be the last off topic post here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi All,

But the OP may not mind…

It’s not the Original Poster who has the final say.

In any case, this will be the last off topic post here.

Correct.

As this thread has been off-topic for some time now, I’m now going to close it to further discussion.