New to Sonos:)

• 7 July 2020
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hi Folks, newbie here,

I recently bought a Sonos Play 5 Gen 1, due to budget and the headphone socket. I live in a nursing home bedroom large buy nursing home standards. After resetting the speaker, it found my 4G wireless broadband 1st time and connected 1st time:) The sound has blown my Apple Homepod out of the water with all types of music! I have Apple Music and Sonos Radio; the S1 controller is version 11.2. Sadly I was put off Sonos for a long while by their support saying their speakers would not work with mobile broadband. Mine does and the sound is better than any speaker heard at a reasonable cost bar the large floor standers I used to own.

I don't know how long it will last or how long the software will allow it to play. It came boxed with all original leads and I have turned off background refresh on the app. I am listening to Sonos Radio Jazz Journeys as I write and the sound is stunning. I have deliberately not set up any voice control.

All that remains is for me to thank you all for a wonderful community and to say I wish I had taken the Sonos plunge earlier:).

Happy Listening,

JW

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Hi @Wheelieman65.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

We’re glad to hear your feedback and we truly appreciate it.

These types of wireless internet connections such as satellite, mobile hotspots, or 4G LTE routers may or may not work with Sonos.

The reason why it is not a suggested set up is that it can experience delays between the internet connection and Sonos.

Good to know that it works fine on your system.

It may help to check this article, it will show you how to add voice service to your Sonos system using the Sonos app for iOS or Android.

Note: Sonos Play:5 Gen 1 is not a voice-enabled speaker.

If you have any questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out. 

Cheers!