New Spam

• 20 January 2018
  • 55 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8
I suspect these aren't legitimate. ;)

Links removed by Moderator.
and more...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

55 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8
and more and more...
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
And a bucket load more today almost making the forum unreadable in "Active topics" view
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Okay, this is getting out of hand!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for flagging guys. The threads were already handled but I forgot to circle back with you all here.

The community is getting a solid wave of spam hitting it for the last couple days and the filter is catching most of it, but a few have slipped through. Please feel free to report those posts and we'll jump on them when we can.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Oh the irony, most spam is created in this support section.

It's great to see Sonos admin on the site during UK hours, if so why can't they also clear the spam. Recent topics becomes a mess to read.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, guys. I did remove it as soon as I spotted it. I'm in Holland, so operating during UK hours. We're currently doing a huge sweep up of the boards. Wouldn't be possible without you flagging stuff like this, thanks very much.
I thought Insided had built spam filters that did away the need for janitor level work?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Kumar. Yes, they do. Whilst they've improved upon it, it still doesn't always catch everything, sadly.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
The spam is really bad tonight.
Userlevel 5
That it is, mwiseman. 😞 We're working on it! 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
The spam is so bad this morning that I have given up on reading the forum for today.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The spam is so bad this morning that I have given up on reading the forum for today.
Sorry for the mess, I just cleaned it out.
Why can't the clever Insided deal better with this using tech; it looks to be low intelligence level spam that ought to not need janitor level clean ups.
I notice that the tradition of allowing low intelligence spammers in while at the same time putting perfectly normal posts from high count posters on ice continues. While Sonos Staff does double duty as janitors and users are asked to flag spam so it can be swept away.

Onwards and upwards, Sonos and Insided!!! Way to go....
I'd guess that's much more of an issue with an automated filter, not a choice made by an individual at Sonos. But it is annoying.
Erm...an individual at Sonos chose Insided...
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Pretty much a joke. Every morning there are dozens of spam posts, it's worse than ever now.
Yea, they start around 8PM Pacific, after the west coast team has left for the day, and before the EU team is up. My guess is (based on the posts) that they're from India, which would fit with the time frame. I do find it curious that they're spamming here, as I wouldn't think there's a lot of traffic from India that hits these boards. But it's hard to believe that they're targeting Kumar.... :)

My guess is they're paid on number of successful posts. But I'm not sure how you track that. I've never run a spamming organization, not sure how to measure success.
But it's hard to believe that they're targeting Kumar.... :)

Nahh...they are after export markets:-). But keeping them out surely does not need a wall that needs a Trump to build it.
But I am definitely being targeted by Sonos with their random Insided powered shotgun. Another post just went into the black (red?!) hole of moderation. This is becoming a never ending story, Sonos, predating the start of this thread by more than a year.
And.... apparently they start at 7PM Pacific. Just tagged my first one tonight.

I've not had any posts flagged today (yet), Kumar. And you know me, I tend to be verbose in my posts. I'm not a fan of the inSided's application of the filter, to be sure.
There is no pattern to the moderation. I have had short and long posts binned. It is completely random.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
And so it goes on :8 44 Spam post in the first 2 pages of recent activity and 6 real posts. The Spammers are winning this battle.
Indeed. And even the much celebrated EU based team hasn't reported for work to sweep the floor.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Nearly 3 weeks later and the same type of Spam messages are still appearing every day! Is anything actually being done to prevent them or is it just a clear up when they appear routine?

It does call into question Sonos' ability to resist hacking of personal data etc when basic web bots can flood the Community forum with ease.