Question

New (June 25, 2020) Sonos Soundbar and Samsung 55" QLED are Incompatible

• 27 June 2020
  • 1 reply

I purchased both of these, being assured by the salesman that they were compatible systems. While the soundbar is recognized, the volume control will not complete setup. This means going to the bar to adjust the volume, which is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

First I spoke with Samsung and was told I needed an HDMI cable (Sonos) does not have HDMI capability, only Digital Optical. Then I called Sonos and finally got through to a tech after being on hold 1 ½ hours! I gave them the Sonos Remote Model Number (it took a magnifying glass to finally be able to read it on the inside of the remote). The Tech researched it and I was told (even though in the Sonos app setup the bar is compatible), that this remote actually is not compatible with Samsung. When I asked the tech, is there anythingin the Sonos Inventory that has this capability, his answer, “I’m afraid not. Nothing I found in this forum was a successful solution. All I could finally ascertain is, “The Samsung One Remote does not output Infrared (IR) signals by default like many other remote controls. It uses radio frequencies (RF) or Bluetooth to communicate directly to the TV or other devices. Some configuration is necessary to enable IR output for use with Sonos home theater products.” That configuration  information was never helpful.

The bar goes back in the morning and I’ll be looking for another brand.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Don’t believe “a salesman” for this stuff, do your research. Take your TV model (whatever that is) and search.

Presumably you bought a Playbar, which is five? year old tech, so only has optical input.

The newer hardware (Beam and Arc) support HDMI-ARC connections, which I’m guessing your TV does too (even though the model number is not listed).

The non-IR remote problem is somewhat well known, and I *think* the HDMI-CEC connection of a newer Sonos device should work around, but as I don’t have one myself I cannot personally verify.

Certainly taking it back seems a reasonable option in this case. I think you might also be able to get an IR remote for your TV from Samsung, though without a model # its hard to be sure.