New Arc update is horrible

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

New update to the Arc has lowered the overall volume of my system. What used to be a volume setting  at 35 is now at 50. I didn’t want the update but forced to do it. This update is absolutely horrible. Get your “” together Sonos before you force your changes on the customers that support your business. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So far the factory reset is working like a charm. Again I have the Sub and everything while on 14.12. So, the cure is to reset everything;)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Koyno Since Sonos only states the new sound is Arc only, is this based on you personal experience only, or can you point to other sources?

Personal xpirience. But as I mentioned I managed to solve it. But be careful with Sonos updates. I do not trust them anymore.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Koyno Since Sonos only states the new sound is Arc only, is this based on you personal experience only, or can you point to other sources?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Same problem here. All content sounds brutal now. After 14.10 my system was finally where I liked it. It was the first time I was completely happy with all my Sonos products. Now I’m just sick to my stomach having to listen to this and be left in limbo. Tried listening to music last night and I can’t even enjoy it anymore. Music on my Echo Show has better sound right now lol.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Nope. It’s in a complete product line. You need to remove and forget everything and start from scratch. Hope it works as with me 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Playbar? Isn’t this an Arc only problem?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Eureka! I have made a Big reset of everything including Playbar, Sub and Ones. Then made a room and put inside it first the Playbar and then the rest. Then I have TruePlay-ed the room and I think the sound output got better. It is not like before, but much close to it. Try it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos almost never tells us what is going on so don’t expect any announcements beyond “this has been passed to support” to be made.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

It is almost the weekend and no sign of life from Sonos, regarding the 14.12 update. Hey, Sonos are you gonna repair our pricey systems or you gonna watch how we listen quiet sound screaming of your behaviour?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I simply don't believe it.

I made the mistake of updating and now I also have sound issues:

1. My two Subs which used to sound cinematic, now sound like they are barely on.
  2. I used to watch Dolby Atmos films at 25-35 and that was loud enough, now I have it around the 60 mark for. the same volume. (And with poorer sound).

After the 14.6 fix, the sound and stability was restored to full glory. 14.12 has reverted and then some. (At least with the 14.6 issue you had good sound before it dropped). 

I am so annoyed at myself that I did not ignore the update messages. It's the kids summer holidays here in the UK, which means it's a perfect time for movies. I now just don't want to watch them and not looking forward to weeks and weeks of no updates to restore.

Yours, in complete disbelief and dispair,

Brad

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Just look at the 14.06 and this 14.12 update. Fix one thing (that a Sonos update caused) then break another.

People were elated that their Arc surround systems were finally "fixed' then a week or two later it all starts again..

What exactly was your point then?. 

You made it sound as if Sonos never responds to customer complaints, that you are “at their mercy” when something goes wrong.  Which is nonsense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

What exactly was your point then?. 

The problem is though they are fixing faults they have caused themselves unfortunately, and not in a timely manner most of the time.

I love the hardware but it's the "updates" that are causing all the problems for some people unfortunately.

The surround dropout saga was very badly handled imho.

Nothing to do with my point, but nice move of the goalpost. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Sonos will never allow an earlier firmware to be reinstalled no matter how bad they've messed it up.

At the end of the day all your equipment is at their mercy (probably part of the user agreement).

Sonos has listened to customer complaints and responded with releases that corrected those complaints dozens of times.

The problem is though they are fixing faults they have caused themselves unfortunately, and not in a timely manner most of the time.

I love the hardware but it's the "updates" that are causing all the problems for some people unfortunately.

The surround dropout saga was very badly handled imho.

Userlevel 1
Badge

This update is horrible. My system has lost the power and clarity it once had and the bass sounds completely off. I loved the sound on the previous firmware and really hope Sonos returns the previous sound profile. I hope more users will complain about this so something gets done.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@Dogdad If you need to turn the volume up further as before, you just do so. Why is this a problem?

Why are you even in this conversation..don’t worry about my concerns

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Strange that it is almost a week and Sonos are not delivering update that will fix the things.

Last bad update took nearly 2 months to fix😩

A lot of hopes that to be sooner and the update himself to work like a charm:)

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Strange that it is almost a week and Sonos are not delivering update that will fix the things.

Last bad update took nearly 2 months to fix😩

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Dogdad If you need to turn the volume up further as before, you just do so. Why is this a problem?

It's not just the volume level with truplay on there's hardly any bass to much midrange and grating treble.

Turn truplay off and you can tweak it to get something you can listen to but the sound signature has changed into something that is not good and it affects all my sonos speakers not just the arc 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Some may think if we used to set the volume at 40%, then just set it at 70% for now and everything is the same… but some others including myself, may think that the system is become less powerful as before, and it’s some kind of worse off especially as we have paid for the system that used to be powerful.

Of course we may not have to set the volume level to 70 to 80% to fill the room, but psychologically just feel that it should be like that, and then feel uncomfortable.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The problem is that the whole system is lacking power and sound as experience. Sonos was known that delivers both. Yes, we have turned the volume to the max. But there is no bass, there is not even close to the things we used to listen as sound delivered by Sonos.Thats the problem.Unfulfilled promises with two words.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hoping Sonos really understands the drop out of their quality sound experience and will give * **** to turn it back for us. I have spoken to support several time, been send mails to the Sonos CEO, but for now..nothing. 

Moderator edit: Language, see Terms & Conditions