Answered

My great Vinyl dilemma: the line in source level Bug and sonos lack of response

• 6 December 2019
  • 83 replies

Badge +2

So I am ecstatic over using a new play 5 gen 2 as my sweet little hi fi compact setup in my bedroom for playing vinyl and digital there.  sonos does a better job translating vinyl to the digital realm and back than any other sub $1000 system.  I bought and returned a few, including the Bluesound.  play 5 gen 2 a BIG step up in SQ.  

But I now have a 2 month problem that Sonos is aware of and won’t fix.  my turntable has always had better than cd fidelity at source level set to level 9.  well now level 9 is with a bug and won’t work.  levels 1-8 work fine, but at a cost of lower fidelity from the digital volume reduction, making it pointless to spin records.  yes, level 10 is still operative, but only if you select 9.  selecting 10 leaves you at the last level you were on.  thus 9 is now skipped altogether.  the end result is if you toggle from 8 to 9, what is really happening is (listening) you are going from 8 to 10.  closing app and reopening verifies all this.

why the big deal?  because level 10 distorts with my albums and 8 or less sacrifices fidelity.  this all started about 2 months ago.

so...I have emailed and called Sonos REPEATEDLY about this problem.  they keep giving a standard line that it’s identified as a bug to fix and prioritized to fix it.  but after one month of calls and emails (they know me well now) nothing fixed.  finally in exasperation I asked for an engineer to call me.  after no less than 3 separate requests for this, finally a Kevin C. from software engineering calls me.  he’s very nice, but explains that he cannot divulge where the team is in the process.  he states essentially he’s not allowed.  when I stated that I just wanted to know if the bug will be fixed in a month or two more, he states he can’t tell me. when I asked if he can reassure me that it will EVER  get fixed, he states he cannot.

so I am going to the Community on this.  Is ANYONE else observing this bug and bothered by it enough to speak up here?  PLEASE POST HERE IF YOU FEEL THE WAY I DO ABOUT THIS BUG.  I clearly need a louder megaphone to move the needle on this issue.

Thanks to all!

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 6 December 2019, 20:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

83 replies

Updated to S2 and I am still not able use level 10. However, the bug where it would revert to level 9 after  the app had been closed has been resolved, so that is something. At least it remembers the correct setting. Although, it would be nice if level 10 actually worked.

Userlevel 2
Badge

So this thread has all gone quiet for 6 months. Can I assume this is fixed and TIcocks is now happy?

Just wondering as I’m just about to add a turntable to my Five.

interesting that Dr. Colossuss mentions he can use ‘9’ but not ‘10’, but it was the other way around in the original post.

So this thread has all gone quiet for 6 months. Can I assume this is fixed and TIcocks is now happy?

Just wondering as I’m just about to add a turntable to my Five.

interesting that Dr. Colossuss mentions he can use ‘9’ but not ‘10’, but it was the other way around in the original post.

Yes, it was the line-in source level 10 that was not working correctly - I’ve just checked with my Sonos Port in the S2 App and it’s all working fine here now. I think it was fixed quite a while back.

Badge +2

Ha, yes, it’s “fixed”. All levels work, but 10 is quieter than before the problem. And 7 and 8 are about the same. I think they used some short cuts to make an apparent fix. It’s all fine though. Sounds just fine. No worries 

Badge +2

Sorry, meant 9 is quieter than before the problem. Not 10. Now big jump from 9 to 10.  No noticeable change from 7 to 8. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Great stuff, thanks guys. 

so what’s the recommendation for my new turntable then? I’ve been using 8, as 2 (which I selected is it said hifi) was so quiet I had to be on 50% volume on the Five to hear anything. 
9? The full 10? 

Badge +2

Full 10

you will be very pleased, I think

Userlevel 2
Badge

Full 10 it is. 

thank you v much.