My expensive SONOS system was just bricked by SONOS legacy

• 21 January 2020
  • 23 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
  • Enthusiast I
  • 16 replies

I have 13 SONOS units, including ZP100’s and ZP80’s that work perfectly. Today, SONOS sent an email announcing that 10 of the units will no longer get software updates as of May 2020. So, if any music service,  MS Windows, or Apple makes a security change after May 2020 that the existing software doesn’t agree with, then my system will stop operating.  The replacement cost of these 10 units is $4,650 and even with 30% offered for trade-ins, my outlay to keep my system operating will be $3,255. SONOS’s management should keep a software update track for “legacy” equipment in order for existing functionality to remain working.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi GB, I know I’ve seen some of your posts in the main thread for this topic. I would like to clarify that the likely issues to come up for devices which stop updating are going to be with music services or voice services. If Spotify changes how they send music to devices, it might stop working on Sonos legacy systems. It’s unlikely you’ll see a Windows or Apple security change that could cause your Sonos players to stop being able to work.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

My Sonos System is only 2 years 3 months old. Now they want me to replace all my amps. That’s just unacceptable at the cost of this equipment.

Userlevel 2

Sonos this stinks.  I have been an avid supporter of your products for 11 plus years and have made an extensive investment over the years and have been recommending the system to my friends and colleagues too….. and you make this announcement!!!!!!!!!  AND suggest that a 30% discount of a trade in is a realistic option.   I suggest you make a hasty change of heart or make a substantial increase in the trade in offer otherwise I will be moving to another platform along with thousands of other disgruntled users!  Steve Bean

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

It doesn’t matter who makes the security change … my 13 units will be useless WHEN that happens. I am very familiar with updating software and the NAS and router companies ALL have updates for “legacy” devices. In this case, all “legacy” SONOS devices do what they were intended to do … they are not obsolete. Mine work perfectly. So, I suggest that SONOS stop pissing off their best and oldest customers by implementing an update path for “legacy’ devices with critical security and other updates that will keep the existing functionality going. If I want to upgrade to new features, that is my choice, but SONOS stopping critical updates for existing functionality (security mostly) is ridiculous.

Userlevel 2

Hi GB, I know I’ve seen some of your posts in the main thread for this topic. I would like to clarify that the likely issues to come up for devices which stop updating are going to be with music services or voice services. If Spotify changes how they send music to devices, it might stop working on Sonos legacy systems. It’s unlikely you’ll see a Windows or Apple security change that could cause your Sonos players to stop being able to work.

When my Sonos systems stops working I will be dropping Sonos entirely. Since the time I began acquiring Sonos components numerous other options have emerged. I paid a premium for Sonos and have been please with their performance to date. This end of life plan was handled poorly and will get me looking elsewhere for alternatives.

Userlevel 2

Sonos this stinks.  I have been an avid supporter of your products for 11 plus years and have made an extensive investment over the years and have been recommending the system to my friends and colleagues too….. and you make this announcement!!!!!!!!!  AND suggest that a 30% discount of a trade in is a realistic option.   I suggest you make a hasty change of heart or make a substantial increase in the trade in offer otherwise I will be moving to another platform along with thousands of other disgruntled users!  Steve Bean

I couldnt have said it better myself.. I agree 100%

My Sonos System is only 2 years 3 months old. Now they want me to replace all my amps. That’s just unacceptable at the cost of this equipment.

If your system is only 2 years 3 months old, then you shouldn’t be affected.  Only items sold before 2015 are considered legacy.  

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m really not looking forward to the day that I throw my perfectly good play 5 into a recycle bin. This is a disgrace.

Userlevel 2
Badge

When my Sonos systems stops working I will be dropping Sonos entirely. Since the time I began acquiring Sonos components numerous other options have emerged. I paid a premium for Sonos and have been please with their performance to date. This end of life plan was handled poorly and will get me looking elsewhere for alternatives.

Totally agree👍

Userlevel 2

Add me to the list of pissed-off loyal long-time Sonos users who have perfectly functioning equipment that is going to become non-functioning at some unknown point in the near future.  In my case it is 3 pieces of equipment that I purchased at a (premium) cost of over $1500. 

Sonos, I believe you are making a serious mistake.  If and when any of my equipment stops working that is the same day I will officially become an ex-Sonos customer at that point.

However, looking on the bright side…  I guess I appreciate the heads-up so I can immediately begin to stop advocating Sonos products to my friends and family as well as to begin looking for competitive home audio systems when I am forced to make the changeover.  

Userlevel 1

Really not happy about this either - to the extent that I enrolled in this forum just to register my protest about this. My system has been labelled as ‘legacy’ (2005-2011) even though I bought it in good faith from a reputable hi fi shop in 2014. It was expensive and as others have said it would also be very wasteful to dispose of perfectly good hardware. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d have a talk with that “reputable” shop for selling you old stock.

Userlevel 1

Yes, definitely not happy about that either.

The thing that struck me was the “Trade Up” section on the website!  “Take deactivated product to a certified e-recycling facility.”  Really, good on you Sonos, very responsible of you….not!  So you believe that my Sonos products are only worth 30% of the original purchase price, and that the best place for them is the recycle bin!  REALLY!  you value my custom that much?  You aught be ashamed of yourselves.  I wont be supporting you again!!!!!!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Totally agree, I have 5 x Play 5’s now all defunct.

Unimpressed to the least. Surely, minimal support should be provided.

If your system is only 2 years 3 months old, then you shouldn’t be affected.  Only items sold before 2015 are considered legacy.  

I bought my Sonos 5 (1st generation) just over four years ago. Brand new. In a large electronics store. So, not sure where the “before 2015” date comes from.

Add me to the list of pissed-off loyal long-time Sonos users who have perfectly functioning equipment that is going to become non-functioning at some unknown point in the near future.  In my case it is 3 pieces of equipment that I purchased at a (premium) cost of over $1500. 

Sonos, I believe you are making a serious mistake.  If and when any of my equipment stops working that is the same day I will officially become an ex-Sonos customer at that point.

However, looking on the bright side…  I guess I appreciate the heads-up so I can immediately begin to stop advocating Sonos products to my friends and family as well as to begin looking for competitive home audio systems when I am forced to make the changeover.  

I agree. I have connect amplifiers, connects and Sonos 5 first generation plus a play at, sub, and 4 play ones. I have been with Sonos since they first made product available in NZ. This equipment should last forever but Sonos are even killing off the non legacy product because you can’t update non legacy product if you have it in a system with legacy equipment. This isn’t a warranty issue, rather Sonos deliberately killing off its own product by failing to support it. When I purchased my legacy equipment no one told me it would stop working because the supplier killed it when it was mechanically sound. Sonos should have found a way to keep current functionality for legacy product whilst allowing newer product to be updated even when part of a legacy system. I won’t be buying any more Sonos kit. I believe NZ legislation requiring product to be reasonably fit for the purpose for which it was purchased will provide me with a claim against Sonos especially as non legacy product becomes bricked by remaining part of an existing system with legacy product. I suggest all existing users have a look at the consumer laws in their own country - Sonos is an integrated system so if non legacy product is effectively bricked by being part of a system containing legacy equipment there has to be some way of seeking redress. Legacy equipment should be maintained so that current functionality is preserved and so non legacy product continues to operate and be updated when it is part of an existing system

Userlevel 1

HOW DARE YOU Sonos

HOW DARE YOU

Obsoleting products that are only five years old and are perfectly functional is extremely poor business practice. If you think this may boost your bottom line then I suspect you are mistaken.

As someone who has spent their whole career in IT, I fully understand that older equipment may no longer be able to support the newer features you may wish to introduce but this does not mean that you should walk away from providing upgrades that they can support.

If this weren’t bad enough, you go further by stating you are not going to upgrade new equipment if it is on the same network as any “legacy” item(s). This is like Microsoft saying that if I have a PC with XP or Vista on my network then you are not going to support my Windows 10 PC’s.

Why would any user with “legacy” hardware buy any new equipment from you knowing it will never be upgraded?

As for your offer of 30% discount to upgrade. This is the same as saying that unless you pay us an extra 70% of the value of your equipment, we won’t upgrade it or anything else you might buy. That sounds like blackmail.

I shall certainly not be recommending your equipment to anyone unless you find a way for new equipment to be fully supported on a “legacy” network.

Userlevel 2

Same thoughts and sentiments. If Sonos doesn’t make good on this dilemma, I will have to look into other options as well. They already screwed me over with my CR100 a few years ago. This is deja vu. Product sunsetting announced then last software update to CR100 which rendered it useless. Bye bye controller which had useful water resistant feature. Had to look for other alternative. 

Sonos has lost my business. Period. I have absolutely zero interest in being a captive consumer. I’ve enjoyed my set up, and will stop ‘upgrading’ the system. Once it bricks, I’m out. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

This is more like it should be.:-)

We heard you. We did not get this right from the start. My apologies for that and I wanted to personally assure you of the path forward:

First, rest assured that come May, when we end new software updates for our legacy products, they will continue to work just as they do today. We are not bricking them, we are not forcing them into obsolescence, and we are not taking anything away. Many of you have invested heavily in your Sonos systems, and we intend to honor that investment for as long as possible. While legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

While we have a lot of great products and features in the pipeline, we want our customers to upgrade to our latest and greatest products when they’re excited by what the new products offer, not because they feel forced to do so. That’s the intent of the trade up program we launched for our loyal customers.

Thank you for being a Sonos customer. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope that you’ll forgive our misstep, and let us earn back your trust. Without you, Sonos wouldn't exist and we’ll work harder than ever to earn your loyalty every single day.

If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,
Patrick

Patrick Spence
CEO, Sonos

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Link to the blog post

https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/system/households/devices/

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If Spotify changes how they send music to devices, it might stop working on Sonos legacy systems. It’s unlikely you’ll see a Windows or Apple security change that could cause your Sonos players to stop being able to work.

The problem here is that ALL sonos speakers will be seen as legacy if one does, so i can have 100 Play 1 speakers and one play 5 and if i keep the play 5, NONE of my speakers will play spotify.

What Sonos should have done is say : Look, the Play 5 and the amp’s will not get any updates, everything will continue to work as right now, but in the future the Play 5 might not be able to do Spotify, but we will continue to try and update the 5 if changes are small and possible to implement relatively easy.

Might even be a bit of money in it for sonos for updating the 5, if spotify changes something, might be worth asking spotify if they would be willing to pay for the update in the other end.

They need to develop the update for all the current devices anyway, so might not be very expensive to implement it into the older speakers as it has been coded for the other speakers.

This is not a “the best of both worlds” situation, but rather a “Worst of the worst”.