Answered

Move in Cold Garage

• 10 January 2021
  • 7 replies

Hi All,

Wondering everyone’s thoughts on keeping a Sonos Move in our detached and uninsulated garage. We live in an area where temperatures can stay below freezing for weeks at a time and can get to single digits Fahrenheit (-13 C) or colder. 

My question is, what damage could be done to the battery or the Move itself if we keep the Move in the garage at those temperatures?

Also I see the specs state that charging occurs from 0 C and above. What happens if I leave the Move plugged in and the temperature is below 0 C? Would it do any damage to the battery or it would just not charge?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 10 January 2021, 15:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

The Move user manual states the following recommended temperatures FWIW:

Operating Temperature

32º to 113º F (0º to 45º C)

Storage Temperature

-13º to 158º F (-25º to 70º C)

Badge +2

Keep it warm use it when you are out there but bring it inside why put it through harsh conditions 

Keep it warm use it when you are out there but bring it inside why put it through harsh conditions 

Ok thanks, appreciate the response!

The Move user manual states the following recommended temperatures FWIW:

Operating Temperature

32º to 113º F (0º to 45º C)

Storage Temperature

-13º to 158º F (-25º to 70º C)

This is helpful, thank you. Hadn’t seen this chart! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

When pushing the temp limits keep in mind you have a 12 month warranty.

I try to treat all my gear gently, moderate temps, low humidity, filtered power and all of it has survived, some from 2006. Well aside from a CR-100 that Best Buy put outside in a steel storage box over a Phoenix summer, that battery popped so hard it broke the case!

Sonos stood behind it, got me a new one in a few days once they reviewed my receipts and pictures.

Good perspective, thanks for the reminder about the warranty. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I buy my Sonos direct from Sonos but any I give as gifts come from other sources where I can add-on a four year extended warranty.

So far none have been needed but the peace of mind knowing I’m not giving a gift that could die by the next Birthday/Christmas is worth the few bucks.

I sure wish Sonos would hook up with Square Trade or the like and offer an extended warranty option when you buy direct.