More Excited For? (a non-poll poll)

• 4 November 2021
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Everybody’s so serious here so I thought I would lighten the mood. What update, upgrade, or newness (from rumors etc.) would you most be excited by and why?

1. Sonos Headphones
  2. Sonos Voice Control
  3. Sonos Integration with Siri
  4. Sonos Dolby Digital (+) 5.1/7.1 Fix on Arc and Beam
  5. Updated X (Move or some other product)
  6. Something else completely….

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7

I would love to see a Sonos One SL with an upward firing driver. Using these as surrounds with an Arc would add two more height channels for a 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos setup.

It would be even more beneficial for the latest Beam since the Beam (Gen 2) supports Dolby Atmos audio but lacks upward firing drivers.

To go along with the above, I’d love to see some sort of “box” that connected to the TV, and allowed me to use three, five, or more speakers as the Home Theater speakers. Essentially, I want to use three Fives, or three Ones as the front center, front right and front left speakers, so that I can define my own “stage’ for the TV’s sound, rather than being beholden to the width of a Sonos Arc or Beam. It would complement @GuitarSuperstar’s suggestion effectively, too. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

I would love to see a Sonos One SL with an upward firing driver. Using these as surrounds with an Arc would add two more height channels for a 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos setup.

It would be even more beneficial for the latest Beam since the Beam (Gen 2) supports Dolby Atmos audio but lacks upward firing drivers.

I wonder if another application of this would be on the sides to create a true 7. System. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

# 6 for me.

First: An Android controller that wakes up faster then 20-30 seconds. Really need the ability to quickly mute the music when the phone rings.

Second Place: Center channel level controls for the Arc and Beam. My bad ears need more voice volume and less background sound.

Userlevel 7
  1. Upward firing speakers for surrounds would be my choice. Come to think of it...I’ve voiced the same request before. :wink:
  2. The above would also be my “Updated X” product

As for the rest (in order of possibly happening)

1. Headphones...I guess if you want the music in your head or need to isolate yourself not to disturb others...well...meh
  2. More voice control...only if Sonos became the the sole proprietor and offered the same features as Alexa. 
  3. Something else...that would align with @Airgetlam’s suggestion (probably a looonnngggg shot) :thinking:
Userlevel 7

I wonder if another application of this would be on the sides to create a true 7. System. 

Yes, if Sonos allowed adding a pair of side surround speakers along with the pair of rear surrounds, it would create a 7.X system. With the Arc and Sub, it could create a 7.1.6 Dolby Atmos setup.

I would like to see the same things that @Stanley_4 mentions above (and the iOS controller App too) and also …

I think it would be nice if the Sonos App diagnostic report was not only sent-off to Sonos for support, but that it was also used to generate feedback to a form/section/page in the Sonos Controller App, that then gives the user some suggestions/information for them to examine for themselves and perhaps use that feedback to improve their system. It needs to be extremely simple and easy to understand…

It might say such things like:

• The suggested WiFi channel to use with this Sonos System is Channel 6
  • The Suggested SonosNet Channel to use with this Sonos System Channel 11
  • The Kitchen (Sonos One) WiFi connection to the Router is currently showing as ‘Poor’.
  • The Bedroom (Beam) WiFi connection to the Router is currently showing as ‘Excellent’.
  • The Portable (Sonos Roam) battery is low (13%)
  • The ‘Drifter’ (Sonos Roam) requires an available software update.
  • The Garden (Sonos Amp) is showing a hardware fault - contact Sonos Customer Care.

And alongside some such simple ‘one-line’ statements, maybe have links to online Sonos Support pages that then expand on the chosen issue selected.

Everybody’s so serious here so I thought I would lighten the mood. What update, upgrade, or newness (from rumors etc.) would you most be excited by and why?

1. Sonos Headphones

I don’t know, depends on features?  It would need to be work with phone calls, work with Arc/Beam/Amp for TV audio, have noise cancelation, voice control, good battery….a lot.  I personally want it to have good NRR (Noise Reduction Rating) but I doubt that’s a priority.  And a reasonable price.  I don’t know that Sonos will pack in enough features to make me toss my current headphones.

1. Sonos Voice Control

Yes, I am excited about this, but I am also not sure how much better this will be over Alexa/Google alone.  Also curious to see if Sonos will want to come out with a puck like smaller speaker to be used with Sonos speakers that don’t have built in mics.  

As a random thought, since Amazon/Google seem to be doing well their small screen echo show and google nest hub products, it stands to reason that Sonos could come out with a similar device that has voice assistant  and acts pretty much like a CR100/200.  Bonus points if it’s portable.  

1. Sonos Integration with Siri

Not an Apple user, don’t care.

1. Sonos Dolby Digital (+) 5.1/7.1 Fix on Arc and Beam
  2. Updated X (Move or some other product)
  3. Something else completely….

I would like to see the Sonos screensaver used with the HDMI-ARC/eARC connection change to display what’s currently playing in the room.

Regarding home theatre related upgrades….I’m starting to feel like the law of diminishing returns is starting to apply.  Would it be nice to be able to use Fives as front Left and Right?  Yes.  I don’t know that would pay a lot for that and give up the Arc (if needed), especially if the wireless connection wasn’t as reliable.  I don’t want to end up paying a lot for marginal gain. I don’t really feel like rear upfiring speakers or additional side firing speakers would be that big of an improvement in my living room.  It honestly would end up about just having more gear than getting noticeably better sound.

As far as better diagnostics and error reporting, sure, that would be great. Can’t say I’m excited for it.

So I guess I would say that I am probably most excited about Sonos voice assistant, but leaving it open for Sonos to surprise me with something I didn’t know I needed in my life.

Badge +20

Headphones would grab my attention just as long as the price is sensible, Sonos recently bought a big share in UK headphone (earbud) company.

Bring back “Reboot”

I may sound like a broken record but I am still missing the ‘basic’ features for SMBv2 support or above to share my music stored on my NAS. Besides that, review the playlist management with a resume function that is not lost when switching sources on a Sonos device. 

1. Something else completely….

The quoted: sound level normalisation of random shuffled playlists consisting of music from different albums/artistes that really works - whether the source be the NAS or streaming services. 

This will remove the biggest destroyer of the listening experience. The human brain can very competently deal with the other sound quality issues, but volume changes and/or music play stuttering, it cannot.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

For me personally I am indifferent about any new products (I have plenty in my house). The exception would maybe be Sonos over ear headphones. While my Airpods pro are nice for certain things. Night time watching after the wife goes to bed would be outstanding. For me it’s Sonos Voice Control 110%. I don’t want Amazon, I just want complete control of my music services including Sonos Radio HD. It’s just how we use the systems. Any way to move away from the app would helpful. And then third, is the fix on the Arc and adding the additional Dolby Capabilities. Nothing more frustrating than having a wonderful LG Cx setup with a Sonos theater sound and it operating at about 40% capability (not an actual number, my fuzzy math based on what I watch).