Maybe I will transition out of SONOS

• 26 January 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge

Too much money to put at risk on future products.  

I bought my pair of Play 5s in Sept 2014,

5 years and 4 months ago.  

Then I added pairs of Play One and Play Three.

How was I to know that my Play 5s were already close to 5 years old technology when I bought them brand new?

I believe the Company is misleading the consumer when they sell retail products that are at risk of becoming legacy unsupported products in 5 years like what happened in my case.  

I hope the CEO directs all efforts to software engineers to keep mixed systems of speakers functioning as a complete system.

In the future SONOS should plan on building in excess memory capacity in the speakers for updated programing and functionality and avoid the extremely dissapointing outlook the company has set forth for owners like me.  

2 replies

I hope the CEO directs all efforts to software engineers to keep mixed systems of speakers functioning as a complete system.

They already are.  Your system should work as a legacy system just like it does today.

In the future SONOS should plan on building in excess memory capacity in the speakers for updated programing and functionality and avoid the extremely dissapointing outlook the company has set forth for owners like me.  

Since current devices have from 16 to 32 times as much storage and RAM as the 32 MB on the legacy devices, it appears they have.

Badge

The point being, I bought into a system that will operate as a legacy system well before a reasonable amount of time, with no update capability.

If what you said is true, about system memory on new decices, then SONOS is on the right track.  I will do my own due diligence, for sure, before buying SONOS products again.

Too bad for me and others that we have to brick some very expensive play 5 speakers and buy new ones at $500 each less a 30 percent discount.  

It would only be fair to me if I got the 30 percent discount and was allowed to keep my old speakers which could be used completely separate from my whole house system.  Afterall, one can still plug in directly to the legacy input jack and enjoy the speaker as a portable.  

It seems to me SONOS is asserting the necessity of bricking legacy speakers in order to get 30 percent off, which is incredibly unfair.