Long requested: Multi-Stereo from TV

• 29 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Hey Sonos Community,

Just providing a feature request — “Full” or “Multi-Stereo” output from TV would be amazing. I know Sonos surround systems do this for music inputs, but they won’t do it for TV. 

My use case is I listen to a lot of music on my Apple TV and currently my Beam surround system up-mixes stereo to Dolby Surround. This sounds terrible in my opinion — really washy, it cuts in and out and puts all of the sound on the beam instead of across all of the speakers evenly. 

My suggestion to Sonos is a simple toggle button under the “Surround Audio” menu on the Sonos App that says “Don’t up-mix stereo sources to Dolby Surround”. 

It’d fit well under the current setting for “Music Playback” as “Full” or “Ambient” under the same menu. 

Thoughts? Sonos can we make this a thing?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

@polarbear_ed,
This has been suggested in forum threads here quite a few times in the past. Whilst it’s not been introduced by Sonos thus far, have you perhaps tried adjusting the ‘TV Level’ to +15 in the Sonos HT Surround Audio Settings, as that will shift some of the TV playing audio over to the rear channels.

Also, if you switch off Trueplay in the HT settings, you can manually adjust output to the rear surrounds by setting their distance to more than > 10ft (3m).