Liberated from Sonos

• 15 February 2020
  • 2 replies

At first, like many, I was furious that I would need to upgrade my various Sonos units. However, on reflection, I’m now felling liberated and excited about what system next. 

I’ve always loved buying new speakers and systems.  Different rooms require different speakers for sound and design aesthetic. I was delighted when Sonos first launched in the UK and was one of the early adopters in 2005. It allowed me to connect all my different systems including B&O speakers, Kef ceiling speakers, Sound Cast (garden) and a number of my favourite old B&W speakers. And I could continually expand my system. The amps and connectors were hidden leaving only the speakers visible. I must have about 20 Sonos ZP100, ZP80, connectors, Sonos 5, Sonos Ones in my home, holiday home and office.  Recently, I’ve been frustrated with the frequency of software updates and the need to continually reboot the router to reconnect Sonos. At the same time all the other Hi-Fi manufactures have caught-up and are making great alternatives - Naim, Denon, Bose, Bluesound (Nad), B&O, to name few, with beautifully designs, value options and the various Apple, Google and Alexa options. Apple Air play and other platforms are allowing you to mix systems. Once you had to have a Sonos controller (I’ve got a draw full of these),  but now my phone/tablet is the streaming device, which is always to hand.  

I was trapped by my existing investment, but now free to explore all the new exciting options.  I would encourage others to not be angry with Sonos, but instead see this as an opportunity to not be locked into a single audio echo system. I’ve been delighted to find better quality audio from some, lovely designs from others and incredible value from a huge range of manufacturers. This gives you the flexility for all your different needs in various rooms in the home, garage and garden. Enjoy exploring. 

2 replies

I’ve been delighted to find better quality audio from some, lovely designs from others and incredible value from a huge range of manufacturers. This gives you the flexility for all your different needs in various rooms in the home, garage and garden. Enjoy exploring. 

Please, in the interests of expanding this discussion, let us in on the pros and cons of the alternatives that you’ve discovered.

Or, you could take this discussion to the linked thread or its companion:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/the-sonos-brexit-and-pragmatic-ways-past-it-6836056

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/the-sonos-brexit-and-pragmatic-ways-past-it-advanced-approaches-6836622

Which I started from being in a smaller but similar boat as the one you describe. Both threads contain many viable alternatives for a rational migration strategy, not trapped by dogma from either side of the divide.

The downside of going there is that the thread has become long, and therefore unwieldy, so there is that to consider; if this thread becomes interesting I can simply provide a link to it in those two threads.