Question

Legacy Products Upgrade Costs and Profits

• 23 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Does the 30% discount for trade-in’s mean we’re getting the newer product at cost, or is Sonos generating even more profits by discontinuing support to long time customers? Sonos products are not cheap, each trade-in should be for the upgraded product at “cost”, not an arbitrary 30% off.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Making the discount too steep might cause problems Sonos would rather avoid.

I’m seeing recommendations that folks buy a used Sonos that is going legacy and set it up just to qualify for the 30% discount. On a single Sonos One SL that isn’t going to pay off but for a 5.1 setup it will pay nicely.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I agree!

A 30% discount is really paltry.

Yes, some will say be lucky we got a discount at all -- but it would seem that Sonos is still making a sizeable profit off of those who feel the need to repurchase.

You are correct to put 'cost' in inverted commas. How you deal with overheads and financing costs makes a huge difference to the answer.

FWIW I think the 30% discount leaves some people with an unreasonable bill to maintain full functionality, and Sonos should have offered more of a discount,  so as to err on the generous side.