Question

Legacy gear is now worthless

• 27 January 2020
  • 2 replies

Instead of offering a 30% discount on ‘modern’ gear and offending almost your entire community of users, why didn’t you offer a genuine trade in offer ?

We all know that your stuff is overpriced but I guess a lot us buy into it for the perceived sound quality. Offering us 30% off your bloated margins is insulting.

Your announcement has now devalued all legacy gear to zero so I can’t even sell mine on eBay because nobody will want it.

I have 15 legacy devices that at some point will stop playing with the newer stuff. Your current wisdom appears to say to split my system to old and new. Whole house audio Sonos ??

I won’t buy anymore sonos gear. What I have to say to you begins with F and ends with You Sonos.

Andrew. ex loyal sonos customer.

2 replies

No, the split system is merely a choice.  The other option is to keep using your system just as it is today.  You will get bug fixes and security updates, you just won’t get any new features.

Instead of offering a 30% discount on ‘modern’ gear and offending almost your entire community of users, why didn’t you offer a genuine trade in offer ?

What do you consider to be a genuine trade in offer?  In case you were not aware, the 30% discount is on any of Sonos products, including sets.  The actual monetary value of the discount can actually be greater than what you originally paid for your Sonos device to begin with.

We all know that your stuff is overpriced but I guess a lot us buy into it for the perceived sound quality. Offering us 30% off your bloated margins is insulting.

What are Sonos margins?

Your announcement has now devalued all legacy gear to zero so I can’t even sell mine on eBay because nobody will want it.

I just took a look at ebay.  Lots of legacy speakers for sale.  I’m sure the value has gone down, but it is not zero.

I have 15 legacy devices that at some point will stop playing with the newer stuff. Your current wisdom appears to say to split my system to old and new. Whole house audio Sonos ??

As pointed out already, ‘split’ is an option.  You continue on as you are now without regular updates, but Sonos promises to provide bug fixes where they can within the capability of the hardware.  Some features, like playing from an aux source or from a local library should continue on till the hardware fails.